This Tofu Creme Anglaise is excellent dairy free / vegan accompaniment for fresh summer fruit desserts. This creatively creamy recipe comes from Jennifer Raymond’s cookbook “The Peaceful Palate: Fine Vegetarian Cuisine “. The 5 stars her book received from all 12 reviewers on Amazon, tells us that this sample recipe will likely be a winner.
Special Diet Notes: Tofu Creme Anglaise
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, optionally nut-free.
- Half 10.5-ounce package silken soft tofu
- 1 tablespoon apple juice concentrate
- 2 teaspoons barley malt powder
- ½ cup vanilla dairy-free milk beverage
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Combine tofu, apple juice concentrate, barley malt powder, and ¼ cup rice milk in blender. Blend until tofu is thoroughly smooth.
- In a small bowl combine the remaining ¼ cup rice milk and the arrowroot. Stir until smooth.
- Pour blended tofu mixture into a saucepan and heat over medium heat for about 1 minute. Stir in arrowroot mixture and heat until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat and add maple syrup and vanilla. Stir until well combined.
- Use hot, warm, or cold over fresh fruit or cake.