On a budget? Tired of cooking? Have various dietary needs? Trying to stay on track nutritionally? You are sooo not alone! I think most of us can answer yes to all of these questions. Which is why I’m doing my best to share more healthy, easy, and inexpensive meal ideas, like this Curry Tofu & Vegetables.
Curry Tofu & Vegetables for a Fast, Easy, Healthy & Cheap Meal
I simply love that the curry tofu is seasoned with spice, and then browned for richer flavor. The whole dish is lightly doused in a chili garlic curry sauce. You can double the sauce if you prefer a saucier entrée (like me!) and serve it with your favorite cooked grain to soak it up.
As is, this dish is quite budget-friendly, but you can make it even cheaper with a couple of quick tips. Buy fresh vegetables separately rather than pre-bagged for lower cost. You do have to do the chopping yourself, but will get more produce for your buck. Plus, you can swap in whatever vegetables are on or a good price! Also, the recipe calls for lite canned coconut milk, but you can buy full-fat and thin it with water – roughly 50-50. It makes one can go twice as far!
This curry tofu with vegetables recipe makes great leftovers. If you have a larger house, you can double the recipe, but you might need to cook the tofu in two batches.
This Curry Tofu & Vegetables recipe with photo was shared with us for the Feed Your Potential and Healthy for Life campaigns.
Special Diet Notes: Curry Tofu & Vegetables
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 12 ounces light extra-firm tofu, drained and patted dry, cut into four slices
- 1 tablespoon + 1½ teaspoons curry powder, divided
- 12 ounces packaged fresh stir-fry vegetables
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 large onion, cut into ¾-inch wedges
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup lite canned coconut milk (can use full-fat)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- Salt, to taste, if needed
- Put the tofu slices on large plate, and sprinkle the top and bottom with the 1 tablespoon curry powder.
- In a large microwaveable bowl, microwave the vegetables and water on high for 2 to 3 minutes, or until vegetables are almost tender-crisp. Pour off the remaining water.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the cooking oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Add the tofu in a single layer and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until browned. Transfer the tofu to a clean large plate, and cover loosely to keep warm.
- In the same skillet, heat the sesame oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Add the onion and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the vegetables and garlic, and stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in the coconut milk, chili garlic sauce, and remaining curry powder. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Season with salt, if needed.
- Spoon the vegetable mixture over the tofu to serve.
More Cheap, Healthy, Plant-Based Tofu Meals
Mexican Tofu Tortilla Salad with Avocado
Vegan Pad See Eew
Tofu Buddha Bowls with Lemon-Tahini Dressing