We love that this vegan pâté is not only loaded with healthy ingredients, but it can also be enjoyed as a spread or simply cooled, sliced and noshed on for a savory snack on its own! The recipe was submitted by Fiona Green as a Savory entry in the BIG Snackable Recipe Contest (entries are now closed, but the winners will be announced on that post!).
The contest is a celebration of our new FREE Snackable eBook with delicious, original Sweet, Savory and Sippable Dairy-Free Recipes. Download and enjoy it now via PDF, iTunes, Kindle, Kobo or Google Play: www.godairyfree.org/snackable-ebook
To qualify for the contest, this recipe for vegan pâté uses Coconut Milk Beverage from So Delicious Dairy Free.
According to Fiona: “Packed full of vegetables and generously spiced with curry power and chipotle peppers, this delicious, nutritious vegan pâté makes a great ‘anytime snack’. It can be added to salads, spread on crackers or simply eaten on its own. It really is so delicious!”
Alisa’s Testing Notes
I personally tested this vegan pâté recipe and loved how unique and nutritious it was! It bakes up firm on the outside, but soft and pate like in the middle. Easy to cut or dip, as Fiona notes. I would personally experiment with the flavors a bit more as I found the peppers and onions to be a bit overpowering. I also have a few tips to add:
Salt: Fiona’s original vegan pâté recipe didn’t call for any salt, which I felt it needed. I tested with 3/4 teaspoon salt, which was good and helped to brighten the flavor. You could even go up to 1 teaspoon, I think, if you are a salt fanatic.
Chopping: Fiona has several notes to “finely chop” – I didn’t find this necessary at all since you are blending it all together.
Equipment: Fiona uses a food processor to make this vegan pâté. I don’t have a food processor so I used my blender with no problem (it is a higher power blender, but not a Vitamix).
Chipotle Peppers: I added the note to optionally de-seed the peppers. I did, and the resultant vegan pâté was still notably spicy, but not overwhelmingly so.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Pâté
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, nut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup chickpeas / garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup lightly packed arugula
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- ¾ cup sorghum flour
- ¾ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and grated
- ½ yellow onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup sun dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped (optionally deseeded)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon salt (see Alisa's Notes above)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and grease the bottom and sides of a baking pan.
- Mix all ingredients in a food processor until well combined.
- Bake on a lower rack in the oven for approximately 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Cut into slices or serve with crackers or warm pita bread as a spread. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.