Did you hear about the new Enjoy Life Lentil Chip flavors? They recently launched in Barbecue, Salt & Vinegar, and Dairy Free Cheddar. We grabbed some bags to try, and I can confirm that they are seriously good. Each crunchy variety is bold enough to stand alone, but they also pair well with accompaniments, like our dairy-free caramelized onion dip recipe below.
We had the honor to partner with Enjoy Life Foods for this recipe post. But we only share honest opinions and experiences. We seriously love these chips! The photos are by Hannah Kaminsky.
The Best Lentil Chip & Dairy-Free Dip Pairings
Honestly, we often just power back the entire bag of Enjoy Life Lentil Chips. But when we can exhibit some self control, I love to use these allergy-friendly chips for recipes or serve a selection with various dips. After all, their unique wavy shape makes an amazing scoop! Here are my quick tasting notes and just a few of my favorite ways to enjoy these light and crispy chips.
- Barbecue Lentil Chips: This distinctly American flavor has that perfect blend of sweet, savory, smoky, and even a little zesty. I wouldn’t hesitate to serve these chips with our caramelized onion dip, dairy-free ranch, or a mild guacamole. I was also caught putting these crunchy chips on my burger – it was delicious!
- Salt & Vinegar Lentil Chips: Tangy is the first word we all said when describing this extra-flavorful chip. They pair well with more subdued dips, like hummus, and complementary flavors, like this caramelized onion dip. But they also meld well with dips in a similar flavor family, like salsa. The bright flavor of Enjoy Life Salt & Vinegar Lentil Chips also punches up casseroles. Sprinkle whole or crushed chips on top for a Frito pie type vibe.
- Dairy Free Cheddar Lentil Chips: We love this flavor with salsa (think queso!) and guacamole, and as the base for allergy-friendly, corn-free nachos. But if forced to choose just one flavor, this is the chip we would pair with the dairy-free caramelized onion dip recipe below. The two play off one another, creating a complex flavor that we wouldn’t have thought possible without dairy.
Dairy-Free Caramelized Onion Dip that’s Almost to Good to Be True
Like all Enjoy Life Lentil Chips, this recipe is free of 14 top allergens, plant-based, gluten-free, and has some nutritious ingredient surprises. But to help ensure it’s the best recipe for you, I have some answers to frequently asked questions.
Can You Taste the Cauliflower?
Don’t worry, this allergy-friendly caramelized onion dip does NOT taste like cauliflower. It might actually win over some cauliflower haters or skeptics. But if you are still concerned about picky eaters, go ahead and add an extra onion when caramelizing to really emphasize that flavor.
Is there a Good Substitute for the Nutritional Yeast?
This is always a tough ingredient to substitute since it’s quite unique. If you think you don’t like nutritional yeast, it might be because a recipe you tried called for too much. Nutritional yeast should be used like a seasoning, not a base ingredient. This entire recipe uses just 2 tablespoons, and it enhances the flavor nicely. If your diet permits it, I do recommend buying a canister to have on hand. It lasts for quite a while in the pantry, and you usually only need a little at a time. But if needed, you can substitute store-bought dairy-free parmesan.
What Can I Use instead of Apple Cider Vinegar?
Rice vinegar is a good substitute for apple cider vinegar in this caramelized onion dip. White vinegar could work, but it is a little harsh in flavor. In a pinch, you could substitute lemon juice. We haven’t tried balsamic vinegar in this dip, but that could be a tasty twist!
Where Can I Get the Enjoy Life Lentil Chips?
They are available direct from Enjoy Life at enjoylifefoods.com. They ship throughout the U.S. Enjoy Life Lentil Chips are also sold at Sprouts, Natural Grocers, and other natural food stores in the U.S. In Canada, look for them at Whole Foods, Loblaws, the Great Canadian Superstore, and natural food stores.
Special Diet Notes: Caramelized Onion Dip with Chips
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, sesame-free, mustard-free, palm oil-free, coconut-free, vegan, plant-based, added sugar-free, and vegetarian. But please be sure to choose the milk beverage that suits your dietary needs.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, minced
- 1 pound cauliflower florets, fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 to 3 tablespoons plain unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage
- 3 to 4 tablespoons fresh chives or scallions, thinly sliced
- Enjoy Life Lentil Chips, any flavor
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the onions and sauté for about 5 minutes, until translucent. Turn down the heat to medium-low and continue to cook, stirring periodically, for 40 to 45 minutes. You’ll want to stir more frequently towards the end of the cooking time to prevent the onions from sticking and burning. Gradually, the color will darken to a rich amber brown. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Meanwhile, steam the cauliflower if working with fresh until fork-tender, or simply heat frozen cauliflower until thawed.
- Place the cauliflower in your food processor or high power blender with the nutritional yeast, vinegar, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne (if using,) and salt. Pulse to combine, pausing to scrape down the sides of the bowl with your spatula as needed.
- With the motor running, slowly stream in the milk beverage until it reaches your desired consistency. Continue blending until completely smooth, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Use a spatula to fold in the caramelized onions and about half of the chives or scallions.
- Transfer the dip a bowl ant top with the remaining chives or scallions.
- Serve the dip with lentil chips. You can enjoy it right away, warm, or cover and refrigerate the dip for at least one hour, until chilled.