This Black Raspberry Vegan Ice Cream is a wonderful summer recipe from The Vegan Scoop by Wheeler del Torro. Black raspberries are the size and shape of raspberries, but they have the color of blackberries. They’re usually a little sweeter than both of those berries, making them fantastic for dairy-free ice cream. Plus, this is the best season to enjoy them. Black raspberries are indigenous to North America, and are at their peak right now.
Black Raspberry Vegan Ice Cream with Just 6 Ingredients
This is the second sample recipe that we’ve featured from The Vegan Scoop. The first one was for Vegan Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream. They’re different recipes, but with several things in common. They both use Wheeler’s favorite ice cream base – a combination of dairy-free creamer and soymilk. And they both have just six ingredients. You can expect this delicious simplicity throughout his cookbook.
Wheeler uses soymilk and soy creamer, which do provide more body than some other types of alternatives. But you can substitute soy-free options if needed. You can also use one can of lite canned coconut milk in place of the creamer if you are having trouble locating some at the store.
Special Diet Notes: Black Raspberry Vegan Ice Cream
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- ¼ cup + ¾ cup dairy-free milk beverage, divided (Wheeler uses soymilk)
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch (can sub another starch)
- 2 cups dairy-free creamer (Wheeler uses soy creamer)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh black raspberries, divided
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ¼ cup milk beverage and arrowroot starch.
- In a blender, purée the dairy-free creamer, remaining ¾ cup milk beverage, sugar, and ½ cup raspberries.
- Transfer the mixture to a medium-size saucepan and cook over low heat. Once the mixture begins to boil, remove it from the heat and immediately whisk in the arrowroot cream. This will cause the liquid to thicken noticeably. Whisk in the vanilla extract.
- Refrigerate the mixture until chilled, approximately 2 to 3 hours.
- Freeze the mixture according to your ice cream maker’s instructions. In the last few minutes of churning, add the remaining ½ cup raspberries.
More Fruity Vegan Ice Cream Recipes