This Black Raspberry Vegan Ice Cream is a wonderful summer recipe from The Vegan Scoop by Wheeler del Torro. Black raspberries are the size and shape of raspberries, but they have the color of blackberries. They’re usually a little sweeter than both of those berries, making them fantastic for dairy-free ice cream. Plus, this is the best season to enjoy them. Black raspberries are indigenous to North America, and are at their peak right now.
Black Raspberry Vegan Ice Cream with Just 6 Ingredients
This is the second sample recipe that we’ve featured from The Vegan Scoop. The first one was for Vegan Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream. They’re different recipes, but with several things in common. They both use Wheeler’s favorite ice cream base – a combination of dairy-free creamer and soymilk. And they both have just six ingredients. This level of simplicity means the recipes are also easy to adapt. Here are answers to common FAQs for modifications.
Can I make this Black Raspberry Vegan Ice Cream Soy-Free?
Definitely! Wheeler uses soymilk and soy creamer, which do provide more body than some other types of alternatives. But your favorite dairy-free, soy-free milk and creamer alternatives. You can also use one can of lite canned coconut milk in place of the creamer if you are having trouble locating some at the store. If you want a richer finish, go ahead and use full-fat canned coconut milk, but it will lend more coconut flavor to the taste.
Can I Use Regular Raspberries?
As mentioned, black raspberries are sweeter. If you opt to substitute regular raspberries, you might need to add a little sweetener. We prefer using a combination of raspberries and blackberries. When adding blackberries, we puree the berries first, and then strain to remove the seeds.
What is the Best Starch to Substitute for Arrowroot?
Cornstarch is the most seamless. If you only have tapioca starch on hand, that can be substituted instead.
How Can I Make this Recipe without an Ice Cream Maker?
There are a few methods. See our guide to Homemade Dairy-Free Ice Cream without an Ice Cream Maker.
Special Diet Notes: Black Raspberry Vegan Ice Cream
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- ¼ cup + ¾ cup dairy-free milk beverage, divided (Wheeler uses soymilk)
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch (can sub another starch)
- 2 cups dairy-free creamer (Wheeler uses soy creamer)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh black raspberries, divided
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ¼ cup milk beverage and arrowroot starch.
- In a blender, purée the dairy-free creamer, remaining ¾ cup milk beverage, sugar, and ½ cup raspberries.
- Transfer the mixture to a medium-size saucepan and cook over low heat. Once the mixture begins to boil, remove it from the heat and immediately whisk in the arrowroot cream. This will cause the liquid to thicken noticeably. Whisk in the vanilla extract.
- Refrigerate the mixture until chilled, approximately 2 to 3 hours.
- Freeze the mixture according to your ice cream maker’s instructions. In the last few minutes of churning, add the remaining ½ cup raspberries.
More Fruity Vegan Ice Cream Recipes