This Black Raspberry Vegan Ice Cream is a wonderful summer recipe from The Vegan Scoop by Wheeler del Torro. Black raspberries are the size and shape of raspberries, but they have the color of blackberries. They’re usually a little sweeter than both of those berries, making them fantastic for dairy-free ice cream. Plus, this is the best season to enjoy them. Black raspberries are indigenous to North America, and are at their peak right now.
Special Diet Notes: Black Raspberry Vegan Ice Cream
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
For soy-free ice cream, substitute coconut or almond versions of the dairy-free milk and creamer.
- 1 cup soymilk, divided
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1 cup fresh black raspberries, divided
- 2 cups soy creamer
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- In a small bowl, mix ¼ cup soymilk with arrowroot and set aside. In a blender, purée ½ cup raspberries, soy creamer, remaining ¾ cup soymilk, and sugar.
- Transfer mixture to a medium-size saucepan and cook over low heat. Once mixture begins to boil, remove from heat and immediately add arrowroot cream. This will cause the liquid to thicken noticeably. Add vanilla extract.
- Refrigerate mixture until chilled, approximately 2 to 3 hours. Freeze according to your ice cream maker’s instructions. In the last few minutes of churning, add remaining ½ cup raspberries.