For that special touch, drizzle this dark chocolate almond cake with a Dark Chocolate Espresso Glaze. Both recipes were created by Chef Claire Criscuolo (RN, CCP). She and her husband established Claire’s Corner Copia, a vegetarian restaurant in New Haven, Connecticut. She has also produced a cookbook by the same name (now in its 11th print run). Read more about her recipes, restaurant, and cookbooks at the Claire’s Corner Copia website.
Special Diet Notes: Dark Chocolate Almond Cake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 2¼ cups organic unbleached all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons organic baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cups organic pure cane sugar
- 1 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup organic soybean or canola oil
- 1 cup soft silken organic tofu, drained and crumbled
- 1 cups plain dairy-free milk beverage
- 1 teaspoon organic almond extract
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Measure flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cocoa into a bowl, then sift it into another bowl. Measure oil, tofu, soymilk and almond extract into a blender container.
- Cover and blend on medium speed for about 30 seconds, until blended smooth.
- Pour blended ingredients over dry ingredients all at once.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir ingredients to combine, then beat for about 10 seconds until smooth. Stir in sliced almonds.
- Spray a 12-cup bundt cake pan with nonstick cooking spray. Turn batter into prepared pan, using a rubber spatula to scrape bowl and to spread the batter smooth.
- Bake for about 50 minutes until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out just clean.
- Remove from oven and let stand for about 2 minutes, then turn out onto a cake dish.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Drizzle with Dark Chocolate Espresso Glaze.