Special Diet Notes: Egg-Free Molasses Cookies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian. Optionally soy-free.
- ½ cup of shortening, such as Earth Balance or Spectrum (for soy-free)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup dark molasses
- ½ cup of water
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons of salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- Cream shortening and sugar in a large bowl. Mix in water and molasses. Sift together flour, salt baking soda, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and allspice. Cover and chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease cookie sheets. Roll out dough ¼ inch thick on a floured surface. Cut cookies with 3 cutter. Sprinkle with extra sugar if you like. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Leave the cookies on cookie sheets for 2 minutes to avoid breakage.