Special Diet Notes: Gluten-Free Grass Hopper Mint Chocolate Pie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 package Enjoy Life® Double Chocolate Brownie cookies
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons Spectrum shortening
- 1 (12oz.) package Silken SOFT Tofu (brought to room temperature)
- 1(10oz.) bag Enjoy Life® semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup brown rice syrup
- ½ teaspoon mint flavor or natural extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To make the crust, process cookies in a food processor until crumb size.
- Add the next three ingredients (cocoa powder, tapioca flour and xanthan gum) and pulse to combine.
- Add vanilla and gradually add shortening (in approx. ½ tablespoons). Pulse until mixture is crumbled (small pea size).
- Press mixture into a 9″ pie shell. Be sure to smooth it up the sides. Bake at 350° for 8 minutes. Let cool.
- For the delicious mint-chocolate mouse filling, blend tofu until smooth using a hand mixer, blender, or food processor. Set aside.
- Microwave chocolate chips for 2 minutes, stirring after one minute. Continue heating in 30 second intervals until chocolate is melted. Be careful not overheat. Stir until smooth.
- Add brown rice syrup to the melted chocolate. Mix until combined. Chocolate should “seize” and pull away from the sides of the bowl, almost forming a ball.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the tofu. Beat until smooth and creamy. Mix in mint flavor/extract natural.
- Add filling to cooled chocolate crust. Chill in refrigerator until set (at least 5 hours). Then serve and indulge!
Note: this recipe contains soy