This Halvah Shortbread recipe comes from Andrew Schloss, the author of Almost from Scratch: 600 Recipes for the New Convenience Cuisine. Though this cookbook is not exclusively dairy-free, it offers many recipes and ideas for those who are interested in cooking with convenient ingredients.
Special Diet Notes: Halvah Shortbread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. Optionally vegan – most halvah is naturally vegan, but be sure to check for honey.
- 4 ounces halvah
- 4 tablespoons non-dairy unsalted margarine (we like Earth Balance)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Purée the halvah, margarine, ginger and flour in a food processor until smooth.
- Pack the mixture into an 8-inch layer pan and bake for 20 minutes, until firm and dry.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, and cut into 16 thin wedges.
- Lift the wedges from the pan with a spatula.