I adore soda bread year round, but it is also a festive treat for St. Patrick’s Day. Quick breads are typically very sweet, but dairy-free Irish soda bread combines some of the savory flavors of yeast bread with the fast, no rise method of using baking soda. Just stir, spread into the pan and bake.
To make this a dairy-free Irish soda, we use a faux buttermilk, stirring apple cider vinegar into milk alternative. Note that some varieties of milk alternative will appear to curdle, but they will incorporate with the other ingredients – have no fear!
Since dairy-free Irish soda bread is still lightly sweetened (and contains cinnamon and raisins), it also makes great muffins. Simply divide the batter between 12 greased muffin cups (or ungreased silicone baking cups), and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Dairy-Free Irish Soda Bread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, soy-free, nut-free, and vegetarian. Just use caution when selecting your milk alternative – be sure to pick one that fits your dietary needs.
For egg-free and vegan Irish Soda Bread, this recipe does work with your favorite egg alternative, particularly powdered egg replacer.
For higher altitude baking, I would reduce the baking powder to 1 teaspoon, to start, and note that egg-free baking may be trickier.
- 2½ cups flour
- ½ cup sugar (can sub coconut sugar)
- 2 teaspoons caraway seed
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup raisins or currants
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- Dairy-free milk alternative (your choice of type, you will need close to 1¼ cups)
- 2 eggs (see note above for egg-free options)
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and lightly grease 9-inch round cake pan.
- Mix the flour, sugar, caraway seed, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in large bowl. Stir in raisins.
- Mix buttermilk, eggs and vanilla in medium bowl; stir into dry ingredients. Do not over mix.
- Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.