This recipe for key lime mousse pie is a “sweet” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by Dione Schwarz. To qualify, the recipe contains 8 ingredients or less.
Special Diet Notes: Key Lime Mousse Pie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, optionally vegan, and vegetarian.
- 4 limes, peels removed and sliced into strips
- 2 cups sugar, plus more for rolling
- 2 cups water, plus more for blanching
- 2 cups crushed graham crackers (vegan or gluten-free, if needed)
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup dairy-free buttery spread or sticks
- 9 tablespoons freshly-squeezed key lime juice
- 2½ cups full fat canned coconut milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 12 ounces + 2 ounces dairy-free white chocolate, divided
- 3½ cups vanilla dairy-free ice cream (Dione uses So Delicious Vanilla Bean Coconut Milk Ice Cream)
- 1½ tablespoons lime zest
- Bring a medium-sized saucepan of water to a boil over medium heat. Add the peels and blanch them for a few minutes. Remove them and pour the water out.
- Return the peels to the medium saucepan and cover with the 2 cups cups sugar and 2 cups water. Simmer, covered, over low heat for 1 hour. Remove the peels and drain until almost dry. Roll in sugar and let cool.
- Mix together the cracker crumbs, sugar, and margarine. Press the mixture into the bottom and 1-inch up the sides of a 10-inch spring-form pan. Set aside.
- Add the lime juice to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the coconut milk and sugar, then bring to a simmer. Remove the pan from the heat. Add the 12 ounces white chocolate and stir until smooth. Allow to cool.
- Using an electric mixer, blend together the ice cream, and lime zest in a medium bowl, until smooth. Slowly beat the cooled white chocolate mixture into the ice cream mixture.
- Spoon the combined mixture into your spring form pan. Cover and freeze overnight.
- Remove from the freezer and run a sharp knife around inside of spring form pan to help loosen the pie. Release spring form ring from the bottom of the pan and transfer the pie to a serving plate.
- Grate or curl the remaining 2 ounces white chocolate over the top and garnish with the candied lime peel.
- Cut into wedges with a knife that has been dipped into hot water and serve.