Sheet pan dinners have been a staple in our home for years. But I admit to making just a few variations over and over again. This drumstick sheet pan dinner is such a wonderful way to change things up. It uses fresh fennel and orange for a lively twist on chicken and potatoes.
Most of the ingredients in this drumstick sheet pan dinner are available year round. But in some areas, fresh fennel might be seasonal. If you have trouble locating fresh fennel, substitute sliced celery, pak choi, or bok choy (bulb and stems only).
Special Diet Notes: Drumstick Sheet Pan Dinner
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and top food allergy-friendly.
- 8 to 10 chicken legs
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 medium-sized potatoes, cubed
- 1 orange (1/4 cup juice and the zest)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley, for serving
- Orange rind curls, for serving (optional)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF and line 13x18-inch sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Place the chicken on your prepared pan. Add the fennel, yellow onion, red onion, garlic and potatoes between the drumsticks.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, orange zest, olive oil, and thyme. Pour the mixture over the chicken and vegetables. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Roast for 45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
- Toss the cooked rice and quinoa together. Divide the grains between 4 to 6 dishes.
- Garnish the chicken and vegetables with the parsley and orange curls (if using), and serve over the grains.