This recipe for English Digestive Biscuits was shared with us by a reader. They have a hearty taste and the perfect, lightly crisp texture. Think of them like graham crackers for grown-ups to enjoy with tea. Store-bought English Digestive Biscuits are often dairy free, but the recipes usually contain dairy. Fortunately, this one is completely vegan!
Special Diet Notes: English Digestive Biscuits
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- ½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups stone ground whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup non-hydrogenated shortening
- ¾ cup powdered confectioners' sugar
- ¼ cup cold dairy-free milk beverage
- Put the flours, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the shortening and whisk until coarse crumbs form.
- Add the sugar and enough milk to make a stiff dough.
- Knead this mixture on a flour surface until smooth.
- If you have time, return the dough to your bowl, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. This resting time will make the biscuits more tender and crisp.
- After the dough has chilled, preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Roll out the dough until it is a bit more than ⅛ inch thick. Cut with a 2½-inch biscuit cutter or into your desired shapes.
- Place the biscuits on greased cookie sheets, and prick evenly with a fork.
- Bake until pale gold, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- The biscuits will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for about 1 week.