Most ghost cookies are simply sugar cookies cut into ghostly shapes with Halloween cookie cutters. But these free-form ghosts are much more fun and have a spookier vibe.
The ghosts are made of a quick and easy fondant that’s draped over rolled Enjoy Life Soft Baked Cookies – your choice of type. You could use another cookie, but it would need to be a soft one that is easily shaped. In a pinch, soft chewy bars would be tasty too!
This ghost cookies recipe with photo was shared with us by Enjoy Life Foods.
Special Diet Notes: Ghost Cookies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian, and top food allergy-friendly.
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons xanthan gum or guar gum (for corn-free)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons water
- 1 (6-ounce box) Enjoy Life Cookies (12 cookies), any flavor
- 1 (10-ounce) bag dairy-free chocolate chips (such as Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips)
- In a bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and xanthan gum or guar gum. Add the water, a little at a time, stirring until it incorporates and forms "dough."
- Knead the "dough" a few times. Roll it out with a rolling pin. Cover the rolled dough with plastic wrap and let it rest for about 15 minutes.
- Cut a circle out of the "dough" that's about 1½ inches in diameter, and cover the remaining "dough" in plastic wrap. Roll out the circle until is very thin. Repeat this step with the remaining fondant "dough."
- Take 1 cookie and roll it in your hands until it is a round ball.
- Take fondant circle and drape it over the cookie. Place 2 chocolate chips for the eyes.
- Serve immediately. These ghost cookies may be stored covered tightly in plastic wrap (to keep from drying out) for up to 2 days.
Pingback: The Big List of Ghoulishly Good Dairy-Free Halloween Recipes