What scares me most about Halloween? Craftiness. But these simple mummy cookies helped me overcome some creative fears without pushing outside of my comfort zone.
Growing up, I witnessed my mother’s ability to hand-sew our clothes and create beautiful paintings from photographs. But her perfectionist nature eventually stopped her artistic hobbies. I inherited her stickler attitude toward details, but my father’s very analytical nature (read: zero artistic talent). So the very idea of a holiday that focuses so heavily on visual crafts is quite frightening to me.
Nonetheless, I was determined to do something spooky this year, rather than playing it safe with pumpkin recipes. But you need not worry about me getting too elaborate. If I can make these Mummy Cookies, then I guarantee that anyone can!
This post is sponsored by Enjoy Life, but the mummy cookies idea, recipe, and photos are all me.
These mummy cookies are a cute, fun, and super-easy treat for parties or even making with kids. And since they use convenient ingredients, you can whip them up in less than 30 minutes.
To keep them vegan, gluten-free, and free of top allergens, I use Enjoy Life crunchy cookies and chocolate chips. But if you’re like Tony and can’t keep your hands out of the chocolate chip bag (sometimes it’s hard to finish a chocolate recipe around here!), Enjoy Life also has new single-serve snack packs of their Mini Chips and Dark Morsels to keep you satisfied.
Chocolate Chip Snack Pack Giveaway – 3 Winners!
This giveaway is now closed. Congratulations to Mariah, David and Sarah!
Special Diet Notes: Mummy Cookies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Please note that the allergy-friendly nature of this recipe is based on using Enjoy Life products, which are made in a top allergen-free facility.
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips + additional for eyes (I used Enjoy Life Mini Chips)
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil or non-hydrogenated shortening
- 12 allergy-friendly crunchy sugar cookies (I used 1 box Enjoy Life Sugar Crisp Crunchy Cookies)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage (I use So Delicious coconut milk beverage), or as needed
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt the chocolate chips with the oil or shortening. Whisk until smooth.
- Dip the tops of the cookies in the chocolate (go ahead, get your hands chocolaty!), letting excess drip off . Turn them right side up onto a wire rack or sheet lined with wax or parchment paper.
- Place the cookies in the refrigerator while you make the icing..
- Add the powdered sugar to a mixing bowl and drizzle in the vanilla. Add the milk beverage, 1 teaspoon at a time, until you get a thick, but slightly drizzly icing. You might need just 3 teaspoons or you might need 5. I use exactly 4 teaspoons.
- Place the icing in something with a narrow opening for piping. I love using squeeze bottles and bought ones like these at the grocery store.
- Pull the cookies from the refrigerator once the chocolate is set.
- Pipe two icing dots on each cookie for the eyes. Press a mini chocolate chip, upside down, in the center of each icing eye.
- Pipe icing across the cookies in a random fashion like mummy bandages.
- Store in a single layer until ready to serve. Because our place is warm, and I don't temper the chocolate, I keep them chilled. But they should keep at room temperature, too.
Love how simple you made this and also love that you used Enjoy Life! Those chips never last long in our house either! Our favorite Dairy Free Halloween Treat would be chocolate bar (using Enjoy Life), sprinkled with pepita or pumpkin seeds.
That’s such a great idea. I’ve been meaning to make more chocolate bark!
Love these little creatures!! How insanely cute. My kids would love them! Must make.
Enjoy Life Foods is my absolute favorite brand for allergy free chocolate! My favorite homemade halloween treat is probably peanut butter cups!!!
Oh my gosh, these are too cute!
These cookies are so cute! I love just about anything with chocolate and peanut butter – it’s hard for me to pick a favorite!
Who doesn’t Dianne? 🙂
Super cute cookies! My favorite dairy free Halloween treat is pumpkin muffins!
Yum! I think I’m going to make some today!
I also retweeted the tweet. My twitter is @liznoveggiegirl
My favorite homemade dairy-free Halloween treat is a batch of pumpkin blondies with chocolate chips. The colors are festive and the flavors are delicious.
Oooh, you are such a good baker Liz, I bet they are amazing!
My favorite Halloween treat is dairy free Rice Krispie treats in the shape of pumpkins! Yum!
Homemade chocolate crackle cookies – with Enjoy Life chocolate chips, and lots of powdered sugar!!
Yum! Do you have a recipe for that Sarah? Feel free to link up!
These are so cute !! Can’t wait to try! My favorite is orange stuffed pepper jack-o-lanterns (:
So stinkin’ cute!
Thanks Megan – I think they’re cuties, too 🙂
These are adorable and could be my new favorite dairy free halloween treat. I also love dairy free chocolate dipped fruit!
Thanks Kelly and yes on chocolate dipped fruit!
I love peanut butter cups!!!! The perfect vegan Halloween treat!
Agreed! I make some far too often 🙂
Chocolate spider cupcakes with licorice for the legs (all vegan, of course!)
Aw, those must be adorable!
My fave dairy free Halloween treat is pumpkin muffins! But these mummy cookies are too cute!!
Making some of those this week!
These are just the cutest! I’m not good at decorated but these look simply enough!
Trust me Cricket, if I can make these, you can! I’m a bundle of nerves when it comes to decorating.
Homemade paleo pumpkin banana bread baked with the leftover pumpkin innerds from carving jackolanterns ? ??
Yumm!! I just posted a pumpkin banana bread recipe but it wasn’t paleo – need to try that type soon!
Such a cute little Halloween treat!
Rice Krispie Treats dipped in Halloween sprinkles & cut into Halloween shapes.
Yum! And such a cute and easy idea!