There is something extra-special that happens during that week from Christmas through New Year’s Day. The reasons to relax, spend time with family, and enjoy a little indulgence are doubled. And on those special holidays the stores are closed, most businesses are dark, everything pretty much shuts down, leaving you with no excuses … it’s time to relax. And while you’re at it, pick the laziest, most indulgent recipe, like this gingerbread french toast, and enjoy it for breakfast … at noon, in your pajamas, because you shouldn’t be in a hurry to get anywhere.
Stale bread, spices, and some leftover holiday gingerbread men and you are ready to go. This fun gingerbread french toast concept comes from the kitchens of Rudi’s Gluten-Free Bakery. They created the recipe to showcase their gluten-free bread, but you could use gluten-filled bread (such as Rudi’s Organic 100% Whole Wheat).
So print this gingerbread french toast recipe out, turn off your computers, and enjoy a low tech, no stress, holiday!
Special Diet Notes: Gingerbread French Toast
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally gluten-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, and vegetarian.
For an egg-free and vegan version of this gingerbread french toast, try this Pumpkin French Toast recipe from the PPK. But don’t forget the gingerbread cookies, as they really are the essential ingredient in this recipe. No gingerbread guys on hand? Any festive cookie should do … vanilla sugar, shortbread, molasses, anise …
- 4 eggs (see post above for vegan option)
- ½ to ¾ cup plain or vanilla dairy-free milk beverage (almond, rice, soy, coconut - your choice!)
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 8 slices bread (such as Rudi’s Organic Whole Grain Bread or Rudi’s Gluten-free Multigrain Bread)
- Vegetable, canola, grapeseed or coconut oil, for cooking
- Gingerbread men cookies (homemade of course!)
- Maple syrup and/or powdered sugar, for garnish
- Combine the eggs, milk beverage, cinnamon, allspice and ginger in a shallow bowl and whisk until well blended.
- Dip slices of bread into shallow bowl until completely saturated.
- Heat oil in a skillet and fry bread on both sides until well browned.
- Sprinkle with fun toppings such as gingerbread men, maple syrup, and powdered sugar!