Years ago, back when she was blogging, my friend Katie shared this recipe for dairy-free, gluten-free banana rum muffins with us. It’s a non-tipsy (alcohol-free!) treat that I thought of when I read that today is National Rum Day. So I decided to update this post, move it to our recipe section, and highlight it for you.
Banana Rum Muffins without Gluten, Dairy, Nuts, or Even Added Sugar
Katie is a professor of biology who loves gardening and baking. When not working, or hob-knobbing, you will probably find Katie in her craft room or in the kitchen, baking recipes like this one for gluten-free banana rum muffins. Here’s what she has to say about this semi-unique treat.
I know there are about a bajillion recipes online and in cookbooks for banana muffins. They all have some claim attached, usually ending in an exclamation point) about what makes this recipe SO! MUCH! BETTER! than all the others. You’ll find no such claims here, nor exclamation points.
What you will find is a simple, easy, gluten-free and dairy-free banana muffin recipe without nuts (blech!) or chocolate chips (not in my banana bread products, please and thank you) or any wacky ingredients that you need to go to seventeen different stores to find.
I wouldn’t do that to you. Not to mention there aren’t even 17 stores within about 100 miles of my house, so that’s not even possible for me.
Now, the thing with gluten-free baking is that it is hard. I am picky with my baked goods and after two years of gluten-free baking, I was still without a good all purpose flour mix. I was just mixing flours willy-nilly.
But did you pick up on the past tense there? Because yeah, I was sent this AWESOME gluten free all purpose flour mix. Whatever I did to deserve this good fortune, I must do again, because I have a feeling the bag that I received is going to go fast.
Special Diet Notes: Banana Rum Muffins
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- 125 grams (4.4 ounces) gluten-free all-purpose flour mix* (Katie uses Namaste Perfect Flour Blend)
- ⅔ cup sugar (Katie uses a Stevia Baking Blend, which is sugar-free and measures cup for cup like sugar)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 150 grams (5.3 ounces) mashed banana (about 1 to 2 large bananas)
- 1 teaspoon rum extract (can substitute vanilla extract)
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free buttery spread
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners or grease the muffin cups (I use 12 cups for smaller muffins, but you can use 9 for larger muffins).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Put the banana, eggs, buttery spread, and rum extract in a mixing bowl, and beat with a hand mixer until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Bake the muffins for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Editor's Note: If you are unable to weigh the banana, add enough to get a standard muffin batter consistency that is moist and pourable, but not runny. You don't want the batter to be dry or thick. The bananas provide a lot of the moisture for this recipe.