This dairy-free and vegan Piña Colada Ice Cream recipe was an entry in one of our So Delicious Dairy Free Recipe Contests, submitted by Dione Schwarz. It blends the flavors of a piña colada into a rich, creamy treat. I’m massively updating this post just in time for National Piña Colada Day!
Piña Colada Ice Cream is the Perfect Dairy-Free Way to Keep Your Cool
Dione keeps this drink-inspired dessert “virgin,” but you can add a little rum, if desired. I would blend it into the mixture before churning. Alcohol doesn’t freeze, so it also helps to create a creamier consistency.
Most ice cream recipes with alcohol added for consistency reasons only use 1 to 2 tablespoons. But since this is a Piña Colada flavor, you can add more rum for taste, if desired. We won’t judge!
Special Diet Notes: Piña Colada Ice Cream
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1½ cups crushed fresh pineapple with juice (can sub canned in a pinch)
- 1 cup unsweetened dairy-free coconut milk beverage
- 1 cup plain dairy-free creamer (Dione used So Delicious Original Coconut Creamer)
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 cup raw blue agave
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (for brightness)
- ½ cup medium fine unsweetened coconut flakes.
- In a food processor or blender, crush the fresh or canned pineapple. Remove it to a bowl.
- Put the milk beverage, creamer, coconut cream, agave, and lemon juice in your food processor or blender and process until smooth. Add the crushed pineapple and just pulse to combine.
- Transfer the mixture into an ice cream maker, add the coconut flakes, and freeze according to your ice cream maker’s instructions.
- Enjoy as soft serve, or pack the ice cream into a container, and place it in the freezer for 4 hours or more. This will harden it for scooping.