This healthy gluten-free vegan chocolate cupcakes recipe was shared with us by Bethenny Frankel from way back in her Bethenny Bakes blogging days. She’s come a really, really long ways since that time – now running her Skinnygirl empire, enjoying continuous Real Housewives fame, guest starring on Shark Tank, and producing her own series. But we can still appreciate the delicious recipes she created in her humble early years.
Bethenny’s Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes for Healthy Dessert
Bethenny actually shared this recipe directly with us back in 2006 – I’m sure she remembers the moment vividly and considers me her online BFF. Anyway … we’ve given the recipe a recent update, and I also have a few recipe options to share with you.
- Flour Alternatives – If you are okay with wheat, you can actually use wheat flour in these cupcakes. This was an option Bethenny shared with us previously. If not, you can use your favorite gluten-free baking blend. But we prefer oat flour for the best crumb and nutrition.
- Sweetener Alternatives – Maple syrup adds richness to chocolate, but it can be pricey. If you don’t want to use up your prized bottle of maple syrup, you can substitute another liquid sweetener. Agave nectar, honey (if not strictly vegan), and brown rice syrup are a few options. Date syrup is another great choice, but like maple, it isn’t cheap!
- Soy-Free Switch – Pureed silken tofu is thick in consistency, like cream. You can substitute full-fat coconut milk, but this will increase the fat significantly. Another option is to use applesauce. In a pinch, you can simply use more dairy-free milk beverage. It will make the cupcakes a little more crumbly
Special Diet Notes: Bethenny’s Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, refined sugar-free, and vegetarian.
- 1½ cup oat flour (use certified gluten-free, if needed)
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces firm silken tofu
- ¾ cup dairy-free milk beverage
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon lemon juice
- Optional Toppings: powdered sugar or melted dairy-free dark chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line or grease 6 muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oat flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Put the tofu, milk beverage, maple syrup, oil, vanilla, and lemon juice in your blender, and puree until smooth.
- Scrape the tofu mixture into the flour mix, and whisk until relatively smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly between your prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove to a wire rack and let the cupcakes cool.
- Once cool, dust with powdered sugar or drizzle with melted dairy-free dark chocolate, if desired.
More Healthy Gluten-Free Vegan Dessert Recipes
Strawberry Cheesecake Parfaits
Raw Nanaimo Bars
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip