Banana splits were never my thing as a kid. The banana part was awesome, and who doesn’t love chocolate and ice cream? But the sweet “fruit” syrups tended to drown the other flavors. So when I initially learned about National Banana Split Day (yes, that’s today!), it didn’t phase me, until I saw an idea for a healthy banana split that used fresh fruit rather than those overly-sweet syrups.
And then I thought, why stop with the fresh fruit? Wouldn’t these ingredients be fantastic with probiotic-packed dairy-free yogurt? Indeed they are. But yogurt doesn’t scoop the way ice cream does, so I turned the whole concept on its head, and made a healthy banana split parfait!
Special Diet Notes and Options: Healthy Banana Split
When made as pictured, this recipe is vegan, vegetarian, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and of course, dairy-free / non-dairy.
Nut-free Option: There are so many ways to make this healthy banana split nut-free! First, stick with a dairy-free, nut-free yogurt. Then, you can simply omit the nuts, or pick another tasty nut-free topping to replace it. Some ideas include nut-free granola, sunflower seeds, ground flaxseed, crispy whole grain cereal, or some allergy-friendly cookie crumbles (if this is for dessert!).
I created this prebiotic meets probiotic recipe for So Delicious Dairy Free. For a Discount: on their dairy-free yogurt to make this amazing healthy banana split parfait, print this So Delicious Coupon
- 1 medium banana, diced
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons So Delicious Dairy-Free Yogurt, divided (I use the Plain, but Vanilla, Chocolate, or Strawberry Banana would be tasty, too)
- 6 to 8 strawberries, hulled and diced
- ¼ cup chopped pecans, sliced almonds, or granola (nut-free optional)
- 2 to 4 tablespoons dairy-free semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 2 fresh cherries
- Divide the banana between 2 parfait glasses (hi-ball glasses work in a pinch).
- Top each with ¼ cup of the yogurt.
- Divide the strawberries between the two glasses, to top the yogurt.
- Top each with another ¼ cup of the yogurt.
- Sprinkle on the nuts or granola and the chocolate chips.
- Add a tablespoon dollop of yogurt atop each and nestle a cherry in each to serve.