Special Diet Notes: Homemade Soymilk
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup dried soybeans
- ½ cup sugar or sweetener (optional)
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla or almond Extract (optional)
- Soak the dried soybeans in 5 cups of water for 12-14 hours.
- Heat 5 cups of water in a large saucepan over medium heat. Drain the beans.
- Add one cup of the beans and 1½ cups of luke-warm water to a blender, and blend on high for 1 minute. Immediately transfer the soybean blend to your heated water in the saucepan.
- Repeat this process with the remaining soybeans, 1 cup at a time.
- As soon as you have added all of the beans to the saucepan, bring it slowly to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly, for 15 minutes. Be careful not to scorch the milk while cooking. Remove from heat.
- Strain the milk through a cheesecloth or tea towel. Press any remaining milk through with a large spoon. You may pour another ½ cup of water through, in order to get it all.
- Your soy milk is now complete, and can be sweetened and flavored if it is intended for drinking purposes.