Today we’ve got an updated post on a timeless vegan breakfast from well over a decade ago. Oprah classified this recipe as heart-healthy, and she’s right! But she also said this Scrambled Tofu is so good that you’ll only be thinking about the amazing taste. And the recipe is quite versatile. We’ve included suggestions in the introduction for ways to modify the flavor for your mood.
Special Diet Notes: Oprah’s Scrambled Tofu
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, optionally grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, sugar-free, plant-based, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or grapeseed oil
- ½ cup minced yellow or white onion
- ¼ cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound firm or extra-firm tofu (organic or non-GMO), drained and crumbled
- ¾ cup sliced green onions (green parts only)
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce or wheat-free tamari (for gluten-free)
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Salsa, for serving (optional)
- Warm corn tortillas, for serving (optional)
- Drain and crumble the tofu.
- Heat the oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and red pepper and saute for 3 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and saute 1 minute.
- Stir in the crumbled tofu. Then stir in the green onions, soy sauce, turmeric (if using), salt, and black pepper. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with salsa and warm corn tortillas, if desired.