This bourbon pecan pie is a “dessert” recipe entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Alyse Raponi. For richness, she uses French Vanilla Coconut Milk Creamer from So Delicious.
Above is Alyse making a mess in her mom’s kitchen as she makes this bourbon pecan pie.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Bourbon Pecan Pie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. For soy-free, be sure to seek out a dairy-free and soy-free margarine (Earth Balance makes a couple varieties).
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ cup shortening, cut into cubes
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2-4 tablespoons ice water, or as needed
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free French Vanilla Coconut Creamer
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups pecan halves, slightly toasted (350ºF for 10 minutes, allow to cool)
- Place flour, orange peel, baking powder and salt into a food processer, drop in shortening cubes. Pulse to break into large pea size pieces.
- Whisk the egg and vinegar together. Pour through the feed tube. Continue pulsing until mixture becomes raggedy. Add 2-4 tablespoons ice water a little at a time while pulsing machine bringing the mixture into a ball. Don't add too much or it will be mushy!
- Take the top of the processor off and the blade, knead the dough together while in the bowl. It should stick together forming a dough. If it is too dry add 1 tablespoon water at a time until it forms a dough. Wrap in plastic, refrigerate for 1-2 hours or overnight.
- Roll pastry between two lightly floured pieces of wax paper. Cut them to approx. 12" lengths. Peel back every few rolls to allow the pastry to spread without touching the dough. Flip and continue peeling, flipping and sprinkling lightly with flour, until you have achieved the size of the pie plate, with a generous 1" overhang.
- Peel back one layer of wax paper and place the pie plate upside down onto the dough. Place your hand under the wax paper and flip the dough into the pie plate. Peel the sheet off. Cut a 1-inch overhand around the dough. Save or freeze any scraps.
- Roll the overhang under neatly. Using two fingers pinch the dough to achieve a decorative look. Dock the pastry (pierce with a fork) to allow steam to escape.
- Place first 8 ingredients into the stand mixer and blend well on medium high. Add the eggs and mix together to incorporate, just until blended, otherwise the pie will rise and fall.
- Sprinkle the toasted pecans over the pie dough evenly. Place flat side down, if you can.
- Stir the filling to incorporate the ingredients and pour over the nuts, making sure you coat every nut. This will add a shine and sugary crunch to the finished product as some will float.
- Bake in a preheated 350ºF oven for 40-50 minutes or until golden on top. Cool to room temperature
- Place 2 ounces 90% dark chocolate + 2 tablespoons So Delicious Dairy Free Vanilla Coconut Creamer in a ramekin. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir to melt. If it doesn't, microwave for another 30 seconds. Drizzle over cooled Pecan Pie. Allow it to dry and set for approximately 1 hour.