We all have cravings that can threaten to derail our dietary needs. For many, cheese is a major weakness, but for me, it’s buttery goodness. That said, I’m so excited to welcome a new, luscious and perfectly salty spread to the dairy-free scene… MELT® Organic Original. Their Honey and Chocolate varieties have been dairy-free (but not vegan – both contain a touch of organic wildflower honey) since inception, but MELT Organic Original has just been reformulated to be dairy-free and vegan!
As you can see, MELT Organic lives up to its rich and creamy name. It has a lightly salty, decadent flavor and is made with the perfect omega-rich blend of organic virgin coconut, palm, canola, sunflower and flaxseed oils. And for all of you who need more than dairy-free and vegan, MELT Organic is also:
- Certified Organic, Fair for Life Fair Trade, Kosher Pareve and Non-GMO Verified
- Soy-free, gluten-free AND made without added protein (yes, no pea protein for my peanut-free friends!)
I was concerned it would take a while for the new formula to hit shelves, but my local Whole Foods is already stocking it. To find MELT Organic in your area, see their store locator.
When trying to decide how to first test out MELT Organic Original, my mind immediately went to carb-rich comfort foods … rice, pasta, and oh yes, potatoes. I purchased a bag of tri-color new potatoes to make some pan-fried smashed potatoes, but right before I headed to the kitchen I stumbled across Pommes Anna – a French dish of layered buttery potatoes – prepared mini-style on Bon Appetit. So instead, dairy-free Petite Pommes Anna stacks emerged from my oven.
I was thoroughly impressed. MELT Organic melted, sizzled, tenderized and flavored those creamy potatoes just like butter. Since enjoying these delicious petite Pommes Anna several times, I’ve also approved MELT Organic buttery spread on popcorn and French toast, and can’t wait to bake with it – biscuits and buttery oatmeal cookies on deck! I’m pretty sure it can be used anywhere that you might use butter.
But before I forget, here is my single-serving, dairy-free recipe version of Pommes Anna …
Special Diet Notes: Petite Pommes Anna
This recipe for buttery herbed potato stacks is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1¾ lbs small potatoes (I use red, white and purple new potatoes), optionally peeled (see note below)
- 6 tablespoons MELT Organic Original Rich & Creamy Buttery Spread
- 1 garlic clove, crushed or minced
- 12 small thyme sprigs
- 1 teaspoon fresh, chopped thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh, chopped rosemary
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Melt the buttery spread in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Put about ½ teaspoon of the melted buttery spread into each of the wells of 12 muffins cups. Brush the spread up the sides (this should leave a small pool of the buttery spread in the bottom of each cup). Place a thyme sprig in the bottom of each muffin cup.
- Add the chopped thyme, rosemary and garlic to the remaining buttery spread in your saucepan, and let it simmer for about 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Using a mandolin, if you've got one, very thinly slice the potatoes into a large bowl. Add the melted herb-buttery spread, salt, and several turns of fresh ground black pepper. Thoroughly combine the ingredients, preferably with your hands, until the slices are well-coated.
- Later the potato slices in the prepared muffin cups. Drizzle any remaining butter and herbs from the bowl over the stacked potato cups.
- Cover tightly with foil, and bake for about 35 minutes. Remove the potatoes from the oven, and increase the oven temperature to 425ºF.
- Place a rimmed baking sheet upside down over your tinfoil covered muffin cups, and carefully flip everything together. Remove the muffin tins, leaving stacks behind on the tinfoil.
- Return the potato stacks to the oven, and bake for another 25 to 30 minutes, or until they are nice and crispy on the outside.
MELT® Organic is a line of luscious, organic spreads made from healthy oils for butter lovers seeking a much healthier alternative, available in Rich & Creamy (original), Honey, and NEW Chocolate.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of MELT Organic. The opinions and text are all mine.