This sweet, naturally dairy-free recipe for pineapple cranberry sauce was shared with us by Erica Waz over ten years ago. We’ve updated the post, but stayed true to her beloved recipe.
It would be really easy to just purchase a few cans of the whole berry sauce, but I wanted something homemade that my children would enjoy. So I combined fresh cranberries with sugar and water and cooked until the berries had all popped and the sauce started to thicken on it’s own. Then I added the secret ingredients: a can of crushed pineapple and a pinch of salt. A little more cook time, and I had a beautiful bowl of deep red cranberry sauce — but would they eat it?
Both children dug right in wholeheartedly. Their eyes were practically rolling back in their heads, they both liked it so much. When asked if we should have these cranberries for Thanksgiving, my daughter became worried and asked if they really had to wait that long to eat them again. I take that as a recommendation.
Special Diet Notes: Pineapple Cranberry Sauce
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian, and top food allergy-friendly.
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple in syrup
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Pinch salt
- Put the cranberries, sugar, and water in a medium saucepan and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the crushed pineapple, lemon juice, and salt and stir to combine. Cook for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until nicely thickened.
- This pineapple cranberry sauce can be served warm or cold, and can be made up to two days ahead of time. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
I love your recipes Alisa and the little twist and ease of them all! And I love this one and how you used pineapple with the cranberry. I make my own sauce as well with oranges but I’d love to try this version.
It is hard to beat cranberry orange, but this is a fun flavor twist!
I cannot wait to try this!! I saw this on Facebook and instantly had to get the recipe. I’ve tried so many cranberries over the years since they’re a favorite but never with pineapple!!
Pingback: Over 100 Dairy-Free Ice Cream Toppings (Ideas & Recipes)