This pumpkin streusel bread recipe with photo was originally shared with us by Paper Palate, a site that Nika and I both wrote for. She adapted it from the cookbook, Olive Oil Baking by Lisa Sheldon. As a heads up, many of the recipes in that cookbook do contain dairy. But this wonderful quick bread with sweet streusel is naturally dairy free, and ready to be baked in your kitchen.
Special Diet Notes: Pumpkin Streusel Bread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
For vegan pumpkin streusel bread, swap in your favorite egg replacer for baking. We like applesauce (about 1/3 cup for both eggs) or powdered egg replacer. Or you can bake my Healthy Vegan Pumpkin Bread Recipe.
For gluten-free, vegan, and allergy-friendly, try my Pumpkin Bread for All Recipe.
- 2 tablespoons firmly-packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon + ½ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon + 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 eggs, beaten (see vegan option above for egg-free)
- ¼ cup plain or unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage or water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan or a 9-inch cake pan.
- Put the brown sugar, 1 tablespoons flour, 1 tablespoon oil, and ½ teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl. Whisk or rub together with your fingers until crumbly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 cup all-purpose flour, sugar, whole wheat flour, baking soda, remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ginger, salt, nutmeg, and allspice.
- Put the pumpkin, remaining ½ cup oil, eggs, milk beverage, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Beat with a hand mixer until combined and relatively smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and stir just until combined; do not over mix. Fold in the walnuts, if using.
- Scrape the batter into your prepared pan, and even it out. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the surface.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then carefully remove it to a wire rack to cool completely.
Key Ingredients: Pumpkin Streusel Bread