Pumpkin two days in a row, but it is fall after all! We originally adapted this very popular pumpkin bread recipe from Allrecipes. It’s naturally vegan, and quite a treat. I’ve updated the post and included several new options in the recipe, so you can customize it to taste and dietary preferences. It’s a versatile dairy-free and egg-free quick bread that’s quite forgiving with modifications.
Popular Pumpkin Bread that’s Super Moist and Naturally Vegan
This delicious recipe is a dessert-style pumpkin bread with a very tender and flavorful bite. Here are some of the secrets:
- Coconut Milk – This is the full-fat kind from the can. It mimics cream in baked goods, adding both moisture and lightness, oddly enough. In a pinch, you can substitute a milk beverage (the kind in large cartons), but the loaf will be a touch dryer and not quite as moist and tender.
- Sugar – Yes, believe it or not, sugar does a lot more than just sweeten. It tenderizes the bread too. It might look like a lot, but remember, this makes two loaves. The amount is on par, or even a little less than some quick breads! You can reduce the sugar a little, but if you reduce it too much, it will affect both the flavor and texture.
- Oil – You can use your favorite baking oil, most types will work well. I’ve included a lighter option, but we still prefer the full indulgence version.
- Spices – The nutmeg adds a fair bit of spice, I wouldn’t increase it. But if you’re feeling spicy, you can increase the cinnamon to 2 teaspoons (or possibly more) and add other pumpkin bread favorites, like allspice, to the mix.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Popular Pumpkin Bread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 2 cups packed brown sugar (preferably dark brown)
- 1 cup extra-light olive oil or your favorite baking oil (see Lighter Option below)
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ⅔ cup coconut milk
- ⅔ cup flaked coconut or dried cranberries (optional)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350º F. Grease and flour two 8x4-inch loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and cloves (if using).
- In a large mixing bowl, blend the pumpkin, brown sugar, oil, sugar, and coconut milk until smooth. Add the flour mixture and stir until combined. Fold in the cranberries, coconuts, or nuts (if using).
- Scrape the batter into your prepared pans and level it out.
- Bake for 75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean.
- Cover the loaves with foil and let them steam for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and carefully remove them to a cooling rack. Tent lightly with the foil and let them to cool completely.
- Store the loaves wrapped in plastic wrap to retain the most moisture.
Key Pantry Supplies: Vegan Popular Pumpkin Bread