This vegan gravy recipe was published with the Quad City Times.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Gravy
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3-6 cloves of garlic, squashed and minced
- 3 slices of yellow onion, chopped
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 4 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce, tamari sauce, or Bragg's Liquid Aminos
- 2½ cups water or vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon ground sage
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup red wine or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 sliced mushrooms (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil on a medium or medium-low heat. Add garlic and onion and cook until slightly tender and translucent.
- Add the flour, yeast and soy (or tamari) to make a paste or roux. Be careful not to let it burn.
- Gradually add water, stirring constantly. With frequent stirring, bring the gravy to a boil and allow it to thicken.
- Add pepper, mushrooms, red wine (or red wine vinegar) and balsamic vinegar.
- To thicken, add a small amount of cornstarch which has been dissolved in some cold water.
- Add more water for a lighter gravy.