Special Diet Notes: Spicy Hot Red Beans & Rice
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, nut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- ¾ cup red beans, soaked overnight
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup converted white rice
- 1 can (16 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1¾ cups vegetable stock (or other stock)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 dried chipotle chile, soaked to soften and minced
- salt and Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 4 large scallions, sliced
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Heat the oil in the pressure cooker. Add the garlic, celery and bell pepper. Cook over medium-high heat until vegetables begin to soften, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the rice, drained beans, tomatoes with their liquid, stock or broth, thyme and chiptole chile. Cover and bring up to high pressure.
- Reduce heat to stabilize pressure and cook 10 minutes.
- Release pressure and add salt, Tabasco, scallions and cilantro.