Impress your guests with these cheesy vegan straws! Excellent for serving alongside a selection of dips at a party or just late-night snacking, these crunchy straws are a whole lot of fun to eat. Feel free to add in whatever herbs you like, or any variety of spices you have on hand. They’re incredibly versatile and can suit all tastes and occasions with just a few small tweaks. This recipe is from Hannah Kaminsky of The Bittersweet Blog.
Special Diet Notes: Cheesy Vegan Straws
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally nut-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- ¼ cup margarine
- ½ cup chipotle cayenne parma
- ½ cup garbanzo flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pinch sweet paprika
- 3 tablespoons plain dairy-free milk beverage
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and line a baking sheet with either parchment paper or a silpat.
- In your stand mixer, beat the margarine briefly by itself, just to soften it a bit. Add in the Parma and cream thoroughly, until completely smooth. Sift in the garbanzo flour, salt, and paprika all together, and mix again. Drizzle in the soymilk 1 tablespoon at a time while the mixer is running on its slowest speed, until it comes together into a very soft dough, almost like cookie batter. Transfer this into a piping bag with a star tip, and pipe out 3-inch long lines onto your prepared sheets. If you don’t have a piping bag, you can also use two spoons to make mounds, much like you would for drop cookies.
- Bake for 15 – 18 minutes or until lightly browned. Let the straws cool completely on wire racks, and store in an airtight container.