This recipe for asparagus noodle salad is an entry in our Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest, created and submitted by Devon Delaney. To qualify, the recipe includes Almond Plus Protein Almond Milk by So Delicious Dairy Free.
The unique and healthy dressing for this asparagus noodle salad uses avocado and almond butter for thickening rather than oil or mayo. It also has a unique sweet, spicy and savory combination of flavors.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: www.godairyfree.org/news/spring-fling-dairy-free-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Asparagus Noodle Salad
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan and vegetarian.
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pit removed
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Original Almond Plus Almond Milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- 1 tablespoon jarred pickled jalapeno, chopped
- ¼ cup packed fresh parsley
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- 10 fresh asparagus spears
- 2 cups fresh arugula leaves
- ½ pound whole wheat thin spaghetti noodles (use gluten-free, if needed)
- ¼ cup sliced fresh radishes
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1 ripe tomato, cut in small dice
- 2 tablespoons toasted almonds*, chopped
- Prepare dressing by combining avocado, almond milk, lemon juice, almond butter, chutney, pickled jalapeno, parsley, scallions, garlic and sea salt in a food processor until smooth. Refrigerate dressing for 30 minutes.
- Boil asparagus for 3 minutes over high heat in a large, deep sauté pan filled with enough boiling water to cover asparagus. Drain and cut asparagus in to 1-inch segments.
- Place arugula in a large pasta bowl.
- Cook noodles to al dente per package instructions, drain and combine ½ cup dressing with warm noodles and toss to coat.
- Place noodles on top of arugula in the pasta bowl. Top noodles with asparagus, radishes, cranberries, tomato and almonds.
- Place remaining dressing in serving vessel and serve with the salad.