You can use dairy substitutes to mimic classic spinach dip, but why not try something new? This healthy, dairy-free pesto spinach dip recipe is rich and creamy, without need for any type of milk, sour cream, or cheese. It’s perfect for any day snacking, super bowl parties, or even more elegant affairs!
Creamy Pesto Spinach Dip made with Plant-Based Ingredients
This recipe for raw dairy-free pesto spinach dip was shared with us by Dr. Rebecca Ocean. She adapted it from Gabriel Cousins, Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine by Dr. Gabriel Cousins. Rebecca uses a higher ratio of greens than the original recipe. She also doesn’t usually blend the spinach and basil in, but you can for a smoother finish, if desired.
This recipe calls for a blend of macadamia and pine nuts, which are very soft and creamy nuts. You can substitute cashews or blanched almonds for one or both of the nuts, but I would soak them for 4 hours before blending.
Special Diet Notes: Plant-Based Pesto Spinach Dip
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and paleo.
- 4 cups baby spinach, chopped
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, cut with kitchen scissors or chopped
- ⅔ cup macadamia nuts
- ½ cup pine nuts, soaked in water for 1 hour or more and drained
- 3 to 4 tablespoons garlic olive oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon celtic or himalayan salt
- For dipping: baby carrots, celery, snap peas, mushrooms, sliced red pepper, cauliflower, and/or raw seed or multigrain crackers
- Toss the spinach and basil together in a large bowl.
- Add the macadamia nuts, pine nuts, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt to a food processor (with S-blade) or blender. Blend until thick and creamy.
- Pour the mixture over the greens and mix well. If preferred, you can blend the ingredients together.
- Cover and let the dip sit in refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Mix it again before serving.
- Serve with your choice of vegetables and/or crackers.
More Unique, Healthy, Plant-Based Dip Recipes