This recipe for zucchini soup was an entry in our Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest, created and submitted by Shannon Kohn. To qualify, the recipe includes Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage by So Delicious Dairy Free.
Special Diet Notes: Springtime Zucchini Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan and vegetarian.
For nut-free and generally top food allergy-friendly zucchini soup, simply omit the pine nut garnish.
- 1 pound zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups unsweetened dairy-free coconut milk beverage (like So Delicious)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1½ cups freshly cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts, chopped
- Combine the zucchini, onion, garlic and vegetable broth in a large saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the vegetables are very tender.
- Puree the cooked vegetables and broth directly in the pan using an immersion blender, or allow the mixture to cool until safe to place into a large food processor or blender, puree, and return to pan.
- Add the coconut milk beverage, salt, and pepper to the pureed mixture.
- Cook uncovered over medium-low heat for 4 to 6 minutes, stirring regularly, to warm the soup and combine flavors.
- While the soup is warming, combine the rice and basil in a medium bowl.
- To serve, divide the soup between 4 to 6 shallow serving bowls. Decoratively mound an equal amount of the basil-rice mixture into the middle of each bowl. Garnish the top of the rice mixture in each bowl with an equal amount of the chopped pine nuts. Serve immediately.