This recipe for zucchini soup was an entry in our Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest, created and submitted by Shannon Kohn. To qualify, the recipe includes Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage by So Delicious Dairy Free.
Special Diet Notes: Springtime Zucchini Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan and vegetarian.
For nut-free and generally top food allergy-friendly zucchini soup, simply omit the pine nut garnish.
- 1 pound zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups unsweetened dairy-free coconut milk beverage (like So Delicious)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1½ cups freshly cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts, chopped
- Combine the zucchini, onion, garlic and vegetable broth in a large saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the vegetables are very tender.
- Puree the cooked vegetables and broth directly in the pan using an immersion blender, or allow the mixture to cool until safe to place into a large food processor or blender, puree, and return to pan.
- Add the coconut milk beverage, salt, and pepper to the pureed mixture.
- Cook uncovered over medium-low heat for 4 to 6 minutes, stirring regularly, to warm the soup and combine flavors.
- While the soup is warming, combine the rice and basil in a medium bowl.
- To serve, divide the soup between 4 to 6 shallow serving bowls. Decoratively mound an equal amount of the basil-rice mixture into the middle of each bowl. Garnish the top of the rice mixture in each bowl with an equal amount of the chopped pine nuts. Serve immediately.
can i use almond milk instead I’m allergic to coconut also
Hi Terri, unsweetened almond milk beverage will definitely work for the consistency. Just keep in mind that it might influence the flavor differently.