Nearly a decade ago, I featured this fresh strawberry spa salad from A Century of Flavors. It’s a cookbook by the family-run producer of pure extracts, Nielsen-Massey. Today I’m doing a full update on this recipe post, and I’ve added a few options.
This “spa” salad is a light, healthy, and flavorful way to enjoy the best produce of summer. If you want to make it a light meal, then top it with cooked chickpeas (for vegan) or grilled chicken (for just dairy free).
Special Diet Notes: Strawberry Spa Salad
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and optionally paleo.
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Madagascar bourbon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon pure almond extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ cup non-GMO canola oil (can sub almond oil or your favorite oil for dressing)
- ¼ cup natural rice vinegar
- 10 ounces baby spinach leaves torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup strawberries, thinly sliced, plus additional for garnish
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup sliced almonds, plus additional for garnish
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mustard, maple syrup, vanilla extract, almond extract, salt, and pepper until smooth. Add the oil in a fine stream, whisking constantly until incorporated. This will help to emulsify your salad dressing. Add the vinegar slowly, whisking constantly.
- Put the spinach, strawberries, onion, and almond in a large bowl and gently toss to combine.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss to coat.
- Garnish with additional strawberries and almonds.