It’s that difficult time of year for diets. You’ve vowed to eat better, and are off to a good start, but challenges like the Superbowl and Valentine’s Day are on the horizon. Not to mention your picky family that isn’t too keen on plant-based cuisine. Luckily, recipes like these Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps can suit almost every occasion without breaking any resolutions.
Easy Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps for Dairy-Free & Gluten-Free Appetites
Coconut milk doesn’t suit everything, but it’s a natural in Thai peanut sauce. The flavorful combination goes with chicken, vegetables, and even tofu, and adds a thick layer of dairy-free richness.
We like this recipe for light weeknight dinners and as finger food at casual gatherings. You can also adapt it to suit most dietary needs. For example, substitute baked tofu and omit the fish sauce to make the recipe vegan. Or substitute nut or seed butter for the peanut butter and coconut aminos for the soy sauce to keep paleo.
This Thai chicken lettuce wraps recipe with photo was shared with us by gapeanuts.com. It was created by Parker Wallace of Parker’s Plate.
Special Diet Notes: Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, and tree nut-free.
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup coconut milk (regular, full-fat, canned)
- ¼ cup water, plus additional, if necessary
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- ½ lime, juice only
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, pressed or grated
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (can omit for vegan)
- 2 heads Boston or butter lettuce
- 1 pound cooked chicken, shredded (can sub vegan chicken alternative or tempeh)
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 carrots, shredded and grated
- ½ cucumber, sliced into matchsticks
- 4 green onion, sliced
- 1 bunch fresh basil, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh mint, chopped
- ¼ cup crushed peanuts
- Sliced limes, for garnish
- In a small saucepan over low heat, whisk together the peanut butter, coconut milk, ¼ cup water, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, rice vinegar, chili garlic sauce, lime juice, garlic, and fish sauce until smooth and warm. Add more water for thinner sauce, if desired.
- Fill the lettuce leaves with the chicken, bell pepper, carrots, cucumber, green onions, carrots, and cucumber. Garnish with fresh basil, mint, and peanuts.
- Serve the lettuce wraps with the peanut sauce and lime wedges.