This unique dairy-free graham cracker crust uses a combination of coconut oil and vegan cream cheese alternative instead of margarine, for a delicious flavor variation that marries perfectly with dairy-free cheesecake, ice cream or no bake pies. I originally created this recipe as “crumbles” to top my Vegan Cheesecake Ice Cream recipe.
Special Diet Notes: “Cheesecake” Graham Cracker Crust
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, optionally vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian. To keep this dairy-free graham cracker crust soy-free, choose a soy-free brand, such as Daiya. We tested the recipe with Go Veggie!, but it should work well with other brands, too.
- 1-1/2 cups crushed or ground dairy-free graham cracker crumbs (vegan or gluten-free, if desired)
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup dairy-free cream cheese alternative, brought to room temperature
- 2 tablespoons coconut oilor palm shortening, melted
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the graham cracker crumbs and brown sugar. Add the cream cheese alternative and oil or shortening, and combine well with a fork or pastry blender, until relatively uniform small crumbles form.
- If making crumbles for topping, simply chill the crumbles.
- For a pie or cheesecake, press the mixture into a greased pie dish or springform pan and chill while you make your filling.
With regard to Rebecca’s comment – you might want to go back and look at how you posted this recipe. The third ingredient from the top is:
“¼ cup dairy-free cream cheese alternative, brought to room temperature”
Oh goodness, I thought this was my other graham crust recipe! Thanks Melissa.
I really wish you would have named a cream cheese alternative that would work well for this for the first timers – dairy free newcomers }:
Not sure I follow you Rebecca. This recipe doesn’t use cream cheese alternative. There is a link to my cheesecake ice cream recipe that does use a cream cheese alternative, and I do mention the name! We have many other cheesecake recipes here on the site, too, for you to enjoy.
Sorry! The brand I used was the same brand as the recipe linked to in this post – Galaxy Foods. It should also work well with Daiya.
Pingback: Vegan Cheesecake Ice Cream Recipe - Go Dairy Free