This Whole Grain Fruit & Nut Bars recipe was originally shared with us by Jennifer McCann, back in her Vegan Lunchbox days. It’s amazingly oil-free, added sugar-free, dairy-free, and plant-based, but still enjoyed by kids and adults. These bars are also very easy to make. In fact, your kids might want to join in when making the dough. It’s a simple measure and combine process that encourages using your hands!
Special Diet Notes: Whole Grain Fruit & Nut Bars
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, oil-free, added sugar-free, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup whole spelt flour (can sub whole wheat flour)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup currants or finely chopped raisins
- ½ cup dried apricots, chopped fine
- ⅓ cup water
- ¼ cup prune purée or 1 (2.5-ounce) container baby prunes
- Preheat your oven to 325ºF and lightly grease an 8x8-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, stir together the spelt flour, oats, walnuts, currants or raisins, dried apricots, water, and prune puree until combined. You'll want to knead it with your hands until a good, stiff dough forms. Add a tablespoon of water if the mixture is too dry.
- Press the dough firmly and evenly into your prepared baking dish. Cut into squares or long bars with a sharp knife before placing in the oven.
- Bake the bars for 25 to 30 minutes, until baked through but still soft (don’t overbake them or the bars will be tough).
- Store leftover bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator.