Recently I professed my love for the gently sweetened line of Greek-style almond yogurt by So Delicious. Well, the almond yogurt is to me what the coconut yogurt is to my sweets-addicted husband, Tony. Kicked up a notch in flavor, it’s hard not to like the taste of So Delicious Dairy Free Cultured Coconut Milk, or coconut yogurt as we lovingly call it around here.
Naturally dairy-free and soy-free, their “regular” line of coconut yogurt (we’re not talking about the Greek-style here) has the creamy look and mouth feel of “real” dairy yogurt, but the flavor isn’t quite as tangy. In fact, I enjoyed a yogurt or two as dessert rather than breakfast, they are that pleasingly sweet. Tony, on the other hand, found the taste perfect for his morning sweet tooth, and religiously returned to the same spot in the refrigerator each day until every last yogurt had vanished.
As for the flavors, we really didn’t have any complaints. They are each good, and there are enough choices to suit various personal tastes. In our house, the Pina Colada was the most popular. It’s impossible to fight the fact that anything coconut is a perfect match for pineapple, and this yogurt was no exception. The Passionate Mango came in second with that same wonderful tropical vibe.
I liked the Plain because I prefer versatility and less added sweeteners in yogurts. The Plain only has 8 grams of sugar, making it a justifiable addition to my daily fruit smoothie. The Plain coconut yogurt isn’t quite as yummy when eaten on its own (thus, I didn’t have to fight Tony for this flavor!), but you can sweeten it as you please or use it in dips or other no cook recipes.
In fact, the Plain was my go-to variety until So Delicious emerged with their Unsweetened and Unsweetened Vanilla flavors, which only have 1 gram of naturally occurring sugars. I love the creamy consistency and versatility of both, as evidenced by my 5 Fast Low-Sugar Dairy-Free Recipes. They offer a yogurt-esque flavor that is a little less tangy than you might expect.
I had expected the Vanilla coconut yogurt to be my hands down favorite, but it didn’t hold a candle to the tropical delights. Though good, this was the only flavor that didn’t quite live up to my hopes (they were admittedly very high hopes!). I think I wanted a little more vanilla intensity on the one hand, but on the other hand, the coconut and vanilla seem to compete a bit.
Naturally, Tony liked the Chocolate flavor, and we both thought the Raspberry, Blueberry, and Strawberry flavors were good ‘ol standbys. They were all delicious and perfect for berry yogurt fans. Finally, we were both pleasantly surprised by the Strawberry Banana. The flavor combo didn’t excite us immediately, so it lingered in the refrigerator until the other coconut yogurt flavors had been devoured. However, it was rather tasty, and one that we would consider buying again for variety.
A few quick notes about So Delicious coconut yogurt:
- They’ve updated the packaging to include a resealable lid (see the image) – which I love!
- All of the flavors come in single-serve, but the Plain, Vanilla, and the Unsweetened varieties also come in the bigger tubs.
- They are certified by the non-GMO project, made with organic coconuts, and are also certified vegan and gluten-free.
- The kosher certification on this coconut yogurt is “DE” for “Dairy Equipment.” This means that it is processed on shared equipment with dairy-containing products (some of the So Delicious products are parve). However, the company seems to note everywhere that they utilize allergy-friendly practices to reduce or eliminate cross-contamination. Contact them directly to discuss if trace amounts of milk may be a concern for you.
- Like dairy yogurt, this dairy-free coconut yogurt is enriched with several strains of probiotics: L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus, L. Rhamnosus, L. Acidophilus, Bif. Bifidum, and Bif. Animalis (love this name, and don’t worry, it’s vegan)
- Each variety is fortified with calcium, magnesium, and vitamin B12 (around 15% of the RDA each)
Dietary Notes: By ingredients, So Delicious coconut yogurt is vegan, vegetarian, dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free, tree nut-free (for those who recognize coconut as a fruit, not a nut), peanut-free, and soy-free, but see the packaging and contact the company for allergen and manufacturing “may contain” labeling.
For More Product Information: Visit the So Delicious website at www.sodeliciousdairyfree.com.