This caramel apple cheesecake is a “dessert” recipe entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Nancy Diana. For richness, she uses French Vanilla Coconut Milk Creamer from So Delicious.
Nancy says, “It’s a lovely, showstopper comfort dessert.”
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Dairy-Free Caramel Apple Cheesecake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
For a soy-free and dairy-free caramel apple cheesecake, seek out a soy-free cream cheese alternative, like Daiya. Note that the results may vary depending on the brand of cream cheese alternative used. Many still prefer the soy-based alternatives for dairy-free cheesecake.
For a gluten-free and dairy-free caramel apple cheesecake, use a gluten-free pie crust – from a mix, premade, or a recipe. There are so many available!
- 2 Granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced thinly
- 3 Macintosh apples, peeled, cored and sliced thinly
- 1 package So Delicious Dairy Free French Vanilla Coconut Creamer
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 250 mL tub dairy-free cream cheese alternative
- 1 orange zested
- 1 uncooked pie crust
- Pour the shaken creamer into a black iron skillet, bring to a simmer. Layer in the apples in concentric circles. Cook for 5 minutes turning once; leaving the nice sides of apples facing down. When they are slightly soft, place a lid over the mixture, slightly ajar and drain the liquid into a mixing bowl, you may have up to 1 cup liquid.
- Add the cream cheese alternative, zest and sugar to the mixing bowl. Mix with beaters until smooth. Spoon this mixture over the apples, spread to cover. It doesn't have to be neat. This is a rustic dish. Cool to room temperature.
- Roll out the pie crust to 1" wider than the skillet. Place crust over the cheese mixture and tuck in the pastry.
- Bake in a preheated 350ºF oven on center racks with a baking sheet underneath to catch any spills, until the crust is golden brown, 30-40 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes before inverting. Run a knife around the edges.
- Serving: Place a flat decorative dish wider than the pan inverted over the pan, invert carefully and quickly to catch any hot liquids. (wear oven gloves)
- In a heavy bottomed small sauce pot add the sugar and drizzle water over to soak in. Turn heat on #7-8 and bring mixture to a boil. Stir to melt the sugar then do not touch mixture as it boils rapidly. Boil for 8-10 minutes or until it is a deep golden colour or registers 250ºF on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat and pour in creamer and extract. Swirl to incorporate.
- Pour into a container and drizzle over pie.
- This goes well with So Delicious Dairy Free Vanilla Coconut Milk Ice Cream