This enticing recipe for vegan cocoa coffee cupcakes with a creamy and caffeinated espresso icing is a java-lover’s dream. Created by Krys Kagan, it was an official entry in one of our prior So Delicious Dairy Free Recipe Contests. Enjoy the recipe below and see more previous dairy-free recipe entries on the Contest Pinterest Board!
Special Diet Notes: Coffee Cupcakes with Espresso Icing
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian.
Not a Fan of Coconut? You can easily make the coffee cupcakes coconut-free by omitting the coconut and using your milk beverage of choice. In the espresso icing, sub in almond milk creamer or use your milk beverage of choice, starting with just 1 tablespoon, and adding as needed.
- ½ cup dairy-free vanilla milk beverage
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup coconut flakes, lightly toasted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup fresh prepared coffee, cooled
- ¼ cup oil (canola or grapeseed oil work well)
- ½ cup dairy-free margarine (such as Earth Balance Soy-Free)
- ½ cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening (such as Spectrum Shortening)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons espresso coffee grounds
- 2-3 tablespoons vanilla dairy-free creamer (coconut creamer for allergy-friendly)
- 15 dairy-free dark chocolate covered espresso beans*, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- In a small cup, combine the milk alternative and vinegar. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients, including the coconut milk and vinegar. Gently stir until incorporated, making sure not to over stir.
- Pour the batter into 15 paper lined muffin pans.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cupcake comes out clean.
- Place on a rack, and let cool completely.
- In a bowl, cream together the margarine and shortening until creamy.
- Add the powdered sugar a cup at a time, beating until creamy after each addition. Add the coffee, and cocoa powder. Add the creamer. Cream together until combined.
- Smooth onto cooled cupcakes, or use a bag to pipe the icing. Place an espresso bean on top of each iced cupcake.