Gluten-Free Chocolate-Beet Cake with Dairy-Free Chocolate Icing
Author: Levana Kirschenbaum
- 2 cups potato starch (year-round: flour, all purpose, whole pastry or spelt)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup pomegranate or cranberry juice
- 2 cups unsweetened grated coconut, packed (settle for sweetened)
- 3 cups grated beets, packed
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, best quality [pick wisely for soy-free and nut-free]
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate or cranberry juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the first set of ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- In a food processor, beat the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the oil and vanilla and mix to combine.
- Add the juice alternately with the reserved dry mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, pulsing only 2-3 times, until combined.
- Add the coconut and beets, and pulse just 2-3 times to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a greased tube pan and bake about one hour, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Invert the cake and let it cool.
- Serve as is or with chocolate icing.
- Melt the ingredients on a very low flame, or in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Spread on the cake and let the icing form up before serving.