Having a simple oven-fried chicken recipe in your arsenal can be a weeknight savior. This quick and nutritious main works atop salads, in pasta, over rice bowls, or served with a side of potatoes and seasonal vegetables. The lighter flour coating (gluten-free or paleo optional) makes it much easier to prepare than a breaded variation, and seasonings are used to replace fat and calories with flavor!
This recipe for oven-fried chicken was shared with us by McCormick.
Special Diet Notes: Easy Oven-Fried Chicken
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free.
For paleo oven-fried chicken, you can use almond or hazelnut flour (I don’t recommend coconut flour for this recipe), and use a homemade nut milk or light coconut milk for the milk beverage, or substitute one lightly-beaten egg for the milk beverage.
Flour Options: In an oven-fried chicken recipe like this, most flours will work, but will produce slightly different flavors and textures. For wheat-based, all-purpose is seamless, but go ahead and go with a whole wheat flour for still workable results. For gluten-free, we like garbanzo bean / chickpea flour, but have also used brown rice flour, oat flour and an all-purpose gluten-free flour blend with good results.
No Oven? This oven-fried chicken can easily be pan-fried in just a touch of oil (about 1 to 2 tablespoons), if needed or preferred.
- ¼ cup flour (wheat or gluten-free, see Flour Options in post above)
- 1½ teaspoons seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1¼ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves or thighs (see Test Kitchen Tip below)
- ¼ cup unsweetened milk beverage (your choice of type)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, coconut oil or dairy-free buttery spread, melted
- Preheat your oven to 425°F. Grease a large baking pan (roughly 15x10x1-inch).
- Combine the flour, seasoned salt, oregano and pepper in shallow dish.
- Place the chicken in a bowl, pour on the milk beverage and toss to moisten the chicken on all sides.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture to evenly coat and place in a single layer on your prepared pan. Drizzle with melted buttery spread or oil.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.