This recipe for coconut milk pancakes is a “sweet” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by Shailja Vishwakarma. To qualify, the recipe contains 8 ingredients or less, but includes Coconut Milk Beverage by So Delicious Dairy Free.
Grated apple adds moisture and flavor, and who wouldn’t like dairy-free chocolate in coconut milk pancakes?
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/march-recipe-madness-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Chocolate Chunk Coconut Milk Pancakes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Just be sure to choose your chocolate wisely. There are several brands that are both dairy-free and soy-free.
- 1 cup all-purpose (plain) flour
- 2 tablespoons castor sugar (or granulated sweetener of choice)
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Original Coconut Milk Beverage
- 1 tablespoon oil, plus additional for cooking
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup peeled and grated apples
- ¼ cup finely chopped dairy-free dark chocolate
- Water, as needed
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Whisk in the coconut milk beverage, 1 tablespoon oil, and vanilla to make a smooth, but thick batter.
- Whisk in the apples and dark chocolate. If the batter is still too thick (not pourable), add water or more coconut milk beverage, 1 tablespoon at a time until it reaches a nice pourable consistency. A thinner batter will result in thinner pancakes, and thicker for thick!
- Heat a little oil on a non-stick pan and spread 3-4 tablespoons of batter per pancake. Cook the pancake on both sides until golden. Repeat to make 7 more pancakes.
- Serve hot and with maple syrup (optional).