This recipe for butternut coconut soup is a “30 minutes or less” entry in the Fast & Fresh Dairy-Free Time Trials Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Naylet LaRochelle. For the creamy soup base, she uses Coconut Milk Beverage from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/dairy-free-time-trials-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Spiced Butternut Coconut Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. For vegan butternut coconut soup, use agave nectar (or your sweetener of choice) in place of the honey.
- 1½ pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Original Coconut Milk Beverage, plus more to achieve desired consistency
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus 2 dashes
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Red (cayenne) pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- In a large microwavable bowl, add squash. Drizzle with olive oil; toss to mix. Add enough water to cover bottom of bowl and about ¼ inch up the sides. Microwave squash on high, 6-8 minutes or until very tender.
- Transfer squash to a blender; add 1 cup coconut milk. Blend until completely smooth. Transfer to a large pot. Add remaining coconut milk, plus more (if desired) to achieve desired consistency. Stir in cinnamon, coriander, nutmeg, ginger, honey, kosher salt, and red pepper. Cook, uncovered, 5-6 minutes.
- To serve, ladle into soup bowls. Top with cilantro.