This recipe for butternut coconut soup is a “30 minutes or less” entry in the Fast & Fresh Dairy-Free Time Trials Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Naylet LaRochelle. For the creamy soup base, she uses Coconut Milk Beverage from So Delicious.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Spiced Butternut Coconut Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. For vegan butternut coconut soup, use agave nectar (or your sweetener of choice) in place of the honey.
- 1½ pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Original Coconut Milk Beverage, plus more to achieve desired consistency
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus 2 dashes
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Red (cayenne) pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- In a large microwavable bowl, add squash. Drizzle with olive oil; toss to mix. Add enough water to cover bottom of bowl and about ¼ inch up the sides. Microwave squash on high, 6-8 minutes or until very tender.
- Transfer squash to a blender; add 1 cup coconut milk. Blend until completely smooth. Transfer to a large pot. Add remaining coconut milk, plus more (if desired) to achieve desired consistency. Stir in cinnamon, coriander, nutmeg, ginger, honey, kosher salt, and red pepper. Cook, uncovered, 5-6 minutes.
- To serve, ladle into soup bowls. Top with cilantro.