This recipe for s’mores muffins was created by Veggiegirl, was shared with us many years ago, and is featured in my book, Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook.
After just one bite of this muffin, all I could say is “WOW”, and my family wholeheartedly agrees. When you pull apart the muffin, a long ooey-gooey string of fluffy marshmallow attempts to keep each half of the muffin together; and the graham cracker pieces really work well in this muffin, since they are also a crucial element to the classic S’mores. And the carob? Well, I never had carob in S’mores way back years ago, when I used to eat S’mores around a campfire; but as an avid carob-eater, I can attest that it works sensationally in s’mores (at least, in these s’mores muffins)!!
Sarah also tested out these S’mores Muffins on her family of six, and they were a hit! She suggested a slight salt addition, did make them with chocolate, and opted for mini marshmallows rather than cutting large marshmallows. While she was at it, Sarah took these great pictures of the chocolate version of Veggiegirl’s S’mores Muffins.
Special Diet Notes: S’Mores Muffins
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup carob powder (may sub cocoa powder)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain or vanilla dairy-free milk beverage (your choice of type)
- 5 tablespoons (scant ⅓ cup) applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup mini vegan marshmallows
- ¼ cup dairy-free carob chips (may sub dairy-free chocolate chips)
- ¼ graham crackers, broken into small pieces (use Sweet & Sara or homemade for strictly vegan / honey-free)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease or line 12 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, powdered sugar, carob or cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. .
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk beverage, applesauce, and vanilla. Stir in the , marshmallows, carob or chocolate chips, and graham crackers. Add the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.