I had some Granny Smith apples that were on their last legs, so I searched my own site to find a new-to-me recipe. I quickly stumbled across an egg-free baked oatmeal recipe, which was originally shared with us by a fellow author many years ago. I ended up making quite a few modifications, and this vegan apple cinnamon baked oatmeal was born.
Most baked oatmeal recipes use both dairy and eggs. However, this apple cinnamon baked oatmeal is surprisingly dairy free AND egg free. As a result, it’s soft and looser than some of the traditional recipes, but we really enjoyed it this way. It’s also quite chunky from all of the delicious add-ins.
Special Diet Notes: Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, optionally nut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 3 cups unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage (use plain or vanilla for a sweeter result)
- 6 tablespoons packed brown sugar or coconut sugar (for less sweet)
- 1½ tablespoons coconut oil (can substitute dairy-free buttery spread)
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats (certified gluten free, if needed)
- 1½ to 2 cups apples (about 1 large), peeled, cored, and diced
- ½ cup dried cranberries, raisins, or blueberries (or a combination)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans (omit for nut-free)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and grease a 9x9-inch baking dish.
- Place the oats, apples, dried fruit, and nuts in your prepared baking dish and stir to combine. Even the mixture out in the pan.
- Add the milk beverage, sugar, oil, cinnamon, and salt to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Heat, while whisking, until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is hot (steaming) but not yet boiling.
- Pour the milk beverage mixture slowly and evenly over the oat mixture in your baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the liquid has been absorbed and the oatmeal is tender.
- Let the apple cinnamon baked oatmeal cool for 10 minutes before serving, or cool it completely, cover, and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.