Though my father lives hundreds of miles away, and has chosen to celebrate this Father’s Day in Mexico (go dad!), this time of year always makes me think that much more about him … and his love of cream pies. In fact, when I was little, we would whip up not one, but two cream pies on his summer birthday so that he could enjoy a selection. And one of those delights was always chocolate. So in honor of my dad, and as a special treat for Tony (Yes, I married a man who also adores cream pies!), I created this delicious recipe for dairy-free and vegan chocolate cream pie (the ones pictured are even gluten-free, but I have included a few crust options for you to choose from!).
The rich, chocolaty, pudding-like filling in this vegan chocolate cream pie recipe is amazingly dairy-free, but unlike so many others it isn’t weighed down with lots of high fat ingredients. Most vegan chocolate cream pie fillings are quite heavy – the ingredients are relatively healthy, but with higher fat that often leaves my stomach a little upset. On the contrary, using milk beverage is usually a little too light for a proper set. So instead I use my favorite “whole milk” substitute, lite coconut milk. It’s typically sold in cans, but I prefer the quality and ease of the mini closeable, aseptic packages from So Delicious.
Also, the sweetness of the filling in this vegan chocolate cream pie recipe can be adapted to your tastes. We like a combination of unsweetened (about 1/4 to 1/2 cup) and semi-sweet dairy-free chocolate (for the rest), but you can go all dark and use whatever percentage you like. Just make sure it is very good quality, dairy-free chocolate!
And what would a vegan chocolate cream pie be without a creamy topping? I’ve enjoyed my cream pies two ways: with the scrumptious shortcut known as CocoWhip (available in Original and Light) or with homemade coconut milk whip (see the recipe notes). Both are amazing and soy-free, and can be spread over the whole top, or used as a topping like I did on these mini versions of this vegan chocolate cream pie recipe.
This post is sponsored by So Delicious Dairy Free, but the recipe, photos, and cravings for chocolate cream pie were all our own. I also love and have used their products for years, recommending without hesitation!
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Chocolate Cream Pie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and generally top food allergy-friendly.
Crust Options (Wheat & Gluten-Free): For a traditional flaky crust, I’ve been using a recipe just like this No Roll Pie Crust for years. This is the one pictured in my recipe, but I swapped in Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1:1 Baking Flour for the all-purpose flour and coconut milk beverage for the milk. For this gluten-free adaption, I did need to add a good splash more milk beverage, about 1 tablespoon. I pressed the dough into 12 4-inch “tarts”, which baked up faster, about 10 to 12 minutes. Another option is a Chocolate Cookie Crust. Simply sub in buttery spread, such as Melt Organic, and dairy-free crispy chocolate cookies, such a Mi-Del or Enjoy Life (gluten-free and allergen-safe, too).
- 3 cups light coconut milk (I used So Delicious Lite Culinary Coconut Milk), divided
- ¼ cup mashed ripe avocado
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ cup non-GMO cornstarch (can sub arrowroot starch)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups (7 ounces) good quality, dairy-free chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Dairy-free traditional, cookie, or gluten-free pie crust(s) (see post above)
- So Delicious Dairy Free CocoWhip or homemade coconut whip (see note below)
- Dairy-free dark chocolate shavings, for garnish (optional)
- Blend 1 cup of the light coconut milk with the avocado until smooth.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk the remaining 2 cups light coconut milk with the sugar, starch and salt, until the starch is fully dissolved. Turn on the heat to medium, and whisk often until the mixture begins to bubble. Whisk continuously as it cooks and thickens, for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the avocado coconut milk followed by the chocolate, coconut oil and vanilla. Whisk until the chocolate is fully melted and the mixture is smooth. Let cool 30 minutes.
- Pour into your prepared, cool pie shell(s). Loosely cover and place in the refrigerator to set up for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Once set, garnish with CocoWhip or homemade dairy-free coconut whip, and chocolate shavings, if desired.