This recipe for a mushroom pasta bake is a “main course” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Christina Coopman. For the cream sauce, she uses Coconut Milk Beverage from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contestChristina says, “Man this stuff is so good. This one is a pasta with 3 types of mushrooms and a white wine cream sauce.”
Special Diet Notes & Options: Mushroom Pasta Bake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
For a gluten-free and dairy-free mushroom pasta bake, use your favorite gluten-free pasta (we like the corn-based ones) and substitute the soy sauce with wheat-free tamari.
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked short pasta
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cups chopped mushrooms, different varieties (I used button, portobello and shiitake)
- ⅓ cup finely diced onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ¼-3/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free margarine
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup panko or breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Cook pasta al dente according to package directions. Drain and rinse.
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion, garlic, thyme and chili flakes. Cook for 4 minutes, until onions are softened.
- De-glaze the pan by adding the wine. Cook for another couple minutes.
- Add in the coconut milk beverage, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, salt (to taste) and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring and bring down to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- While simmering prepare the roux in another saucepan. Melt margarine over medium heat. Once melted and in the flour, stirring until fully mixed and the roux is pulled away from the sides of the pan. Continue to cook for another couple minutes. Remove from heat until mushroom sauce is ready.
- Once simmered for 10 minutes, pour ⅓ of the sauce into the pot with the roux, whisking continuously over medium heat. Continue to whisk until thickened. Add another ⅓ of sauce and repeat the process. Repeat with the rest of the sauce. Continue to cook and thicken for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add in the pasta and stir until fully mixed. Portion into individual baking dishes or a loaf or casserole dish. Sprinkle the top with panko and bake for about 30 minutes or until as crispy as desired.
- Serve with a fresh salad and enjoy the amazing flavor of dairy free!