At last, Eat Dairy Free is hitting the stands! And as promised, I’ve got some helpful supplemental information for that cookbook. This post is a quick list of the specific brands / products I used for the Eat Dairy Free Ingredients during recipe testing.
I have included links directly to the products to help you easily locate them online or in stores. Some of these links do include Amazon affiliate links (where I often buy them!). The proceeds help to keep this site running, so I appreciate your support! I was not paid by any brands for inclusion on this list. It’s an honest reflection of my own dairy-free kitchen and how I got the best cookbook results.
This post also doubles as a massive shopping list of pantry and refrigerated ingredients for the entire book. However, it does not include the abundance of produce and other fresh ingredients used. For more information about the ingredients themselves, see the “Ingredients in This Book” chapter in Eat Dairy Free.
Eat Dairy Free is a cookbook by Alisa Fleming, the founder of Go Dairy Free and author of the best-selling dairy-free book, Go Dairy Free. Click the image above for more information and to purchase Eat Dairy Free.
Eat Dairy Free Ingredients: The Brands Used for Testing
If I tested the recipes with more than one brand of a particular ingredient, then I noted each one. I’ve also included Notes about several of the Brands after this ingredients list. There is some important information in that section, particularly for those dealing with severe milk allergies.
- Dairy-Free Milk Beverage* – 1-Minute Milk Alternative Recipe (in the “Sips to Shakes” chapter in Eat Dairy Free) or So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage.
- Orange Juice – Trader Joe’s Not From Concentrate and Florida’s Natural with Calcium
- Pineapple Juice – Dole and Lakewood Organic (for Fresh Pressed)
*I do not recommend using a milk beverage with added protein in sauces or other recipes heated on the stove top or in the microwave. It can produce undesirable results.
Flours & Starches
- All-Purpose Flour* – Bob’s Red Mill Unbleached
- Almond Flour** – I ground my own from almonds with a spice grinder.
- Brown Rice Flour** – Bob’s Red Mill and Authentic Foods Superfine (can use Sorghum Flour instead)
- Cornstarch (Non-GMO) – Bob’s Red Mill (can sub Arrowroot Starch)
- Garbanzo Bean Flour – Bob’s Red Mill
- Oat Flour** – I ground my own from oats with a spice grinder.
- Potato Starch** – Bob’s Red Mill
- Sorghum Flour** – Bob’s Red Mill (can use Brown Rice Flour instead)
- Spelt Flour* – Bob’s Red Mill
- Sweet White Rice Flour** – Bob’s Red Mill
- Tapioca Starch** – Bob’s Red Mill
- White Whole Wheat Flour* – Bob’s Red Mill Ivory Wheat
- Whole Wheat Pastry Flour* – Bob’s Red Mill (can sub All-Purpose Flour)
*Not needed if you cook/bake gluten free. **Not needed if you cook/bake with wheat.
Cereals & Grains
- Brown Rice* – Lundberg Organic Brown Basmati
- Brown Rice Crispy Cereal – Erewhon Organic
- Corn Flakes – Erewhon Organic (can sub Panko Crumbs)
- Cornmeal – Bob’s Red Mill
- Oats, Quick – Bob’s Red Mill (I use the Certified Gluten Free version, see the Brand Notes below)
- Oats, Rolled – Bob’s Red Mill (I use the Certified Gluten Free version, see the Brand Notes below)
- Pearl Barley – Bob’s Red Mill (not needed for gluten-free recipe version)
- Polenta, Dry – Bob’s Red Mill
- Polenta, Prepared Chub – Trader Joe’s Organic and Food Merchant’s Organic
- Popcorn – Trader Joe’s Organic (much cheaper in store) and Bob’s Red Mill White
- Quinoa – Bob’s Red Mill
- White Rice* – Trader Joe’s Jasmine (from Thailand) and Lundberg Organic Sushi (Short Grain from California)
- Whole Grain Flake Cereal – Uncle Sam’s (wheat-based). The gluten-free brand I used is no longer available, but Nature’s Path Mesa Sunrise and Qi’a Superfood Superflakes look like good certified gluten-free options.
*See my post on No-Fuss Rice for rice purchasing tips.
Oil & Fats
- Coconut Butter – Nutiva Organic Coconut Manna
- Coconut Oil – Trader Joe’s Organic Virgin Unrefined and Nutiva Organic Virgin Unrefined
- Grapeseed Oil – Trader Joe’s (much cheaper in store)
- Olive Oil – Ellyndale Organic Extra Virgin and Filippo Berio Extra Light (for higher heat)
- Non-Hydrogenated Margarine – Earth Balance Soy-Free Buttery Spread and Sticks
- Rice Bran Oil – Ellyndale Organic
- Sesame Seed Oil – Ellyndale Organic
- Agave Nectar – Wholesome Organic Blue
- Blackstrap Molasses – Wholesome Molasses
- Brown Sugar – Trader Joe’s Organic (much cheaper in store)
- Cane Sugar – Trader Joe’s Organic
- Coconut Sugar – Bob’s Red Mill Organic
- Honey – Trader Joe’s Multi-Floral & Clover (much cheaper in store) and Nature Nate’s Raw
- Maple Syrup – NOW Foods Organic Grade A Dark Color (formerly Grade B)
- Powdered Confectioners’ Sugar – Trader Joe’s Organic (much cheaper in store)
- Stevia Extract – NuNaturals Alcohol-Free Liquid and NuNaturals Pure Extract Powder
- Cocoa Powder – Trader Joe’s (much cheaper in store) and Equal Exchange Organic
- Dark Chocolate – Enjoy Life Morsels and Scharffen Berger Bittersweet Baking Bar
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – Enjoy Life Mini (see my Chocolate Chips Guide for more options)
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chunks – Enjoy Life
Other Baking Supplies
- Baking Powder – Trader Joe’s (much cheaper in store)
- Baking Soda – Trader Joe’s (much cheaper in store)
- Graham Cracker Crumbs – crumbled Erewhon Organic (discontinued) and Kinnikinnick Gluten Free
- Peppermint Extract – Frontier Organic Flavor
- Powdered Egg Replacer – Ener-G (for egg-free options)
- Vanilla Extract – Simply Organic Pure Extract and Simply Organic Pure Flavoring
- Xanthan Gum – Bob’s Red Mill
Nut & Seed Butters
- Almond Butter, Creamy – Trader Joe’s (much cheaper in store)
- Peanut Butter, Creamy – Santa Cruz Organic and Trader Joe’s Unsalted (much cheaper in store)
- Sunflower Seed Butter, Creamy – SunButter Original and Trader Joe’s (much cheaper in store)
- Tahini – Trader Joe’s Organic and Kevala Organic
Nuts & Seeds
- Almonds – Trader Joe’s Raw (much cheaper in store)
- Cashews – NOW Foods Raw
- Chia Seeds – Bob’s Red Mill
- Flax Seeds – Bob’s Red Mill Organic
- Hemp Seeds – Navitas Organic Raw
- Peanuts – Trader Joe’s Organic Valencia Roasted & Salted
- Pecans – Trader Joe’s Raw Halves and Kirkland
- Pine Nuts – Trader Joe’s Raw Pignolias
- Sliced Almonds – Trader Joe’s Raw (much cheaper in store)
- Sunflower Seeds – Bob’s Red Mill Raw
- Sesame Seeds – Bob’s Red Mill Raw (I toast them in a pan when toasted is needed)
- Shredded Coconut – Let’s Do Organic Unsweetened
- Walnuts – Trader Joe’s Walnut Halves & Pieces
- Applesauce – Santa Cruz Organic Unsweetened (I use the small cups as one is usually enough for a recipe)
- Banana Chips – Trader Joe’s
- Crystalized Ginger – The Ginger People
- Dried Cranberries – Trader Joe’s (much cheaper in store; Steve’s PaleoGoods are unsweetened)
- Dried Figs – Anna & Sarah Black Mission
- Medjool Dates – Trader Joe’s (Terrasoul are also excellent)
- Pineapple Chunks – Dole in Juice
- Prunes – Sun-Maid
- Raisins – Trader Joe’s Organic Thompson and Sun-Maid Organic
Dried Herbs & Spices
- Allspice – Simply Organic
- Basil – Simply Organic
- Black Pepper – Simply Organic Get Grackin’ Grinder and Simply Organic Ground
- Cardamom – Simply Organic
- Cayenne – Simply Organic
- Chili Powder – Simply Organic
- Chinese Five-Spice Powder – Frontier Co-op
- Chipotle Chili Powder – Simply Organic
- Cinnamon – Frontier Co-op Organic
- Cloves – Simply Organic
- Coriander – Simply Organic
- Crushed Red Pepper – McCormick
- Cumin – Simply Organic
- Curry Powder – Simply Organic
- Dill – Simply Organic
- Fennel Seeds – Simply Organic
- Garlic Powder – Simply Organic
- Ginger, Ground – Simply Organic
- Marjoram – The Spice Hunter
- Mustard Powder – Simply Organic
- Nutmeg – Simply Organic
- Nutritional Yeast – Bob’s Red Mill
- Old Bay Seasoning – Old Bay (there’s only one!)
- Onion Powder – McCormick
- Oregano – Simply Organic
- Paprika – Simply Organic
- Parsley – Simply Organic
- Pumpkin Pie Spice – Simply Organic
- Sage, Ground – Simply Organic
- Salt – Trader Joe’s Fine Sea Salt (much cheaper in store) and Celtic Fine Sea Salt
- Smoked Paprika – Simply Organic
- Thyme – Simply Organic
- Turmeric, Ground – Simply Organic
- White Pepper – Simply Organic
- Beef Broth – 365 Organic
- Chicken Broth – Imagine Foods Organic and Imagine Foods Organic No-Chicken (vegan)
- Mushroom Broth – Pacific Foods Organic
- Vegetable Broth – Trader Joe’s Organic Hearty
*I do not use low-sodium broth in recipes. If you use low sodium, you might need to add more salt to the recipe for optimum taste.
Other Canned, Aseptic, or Jarred Pantry Supplies
- Black Beans – Trader Joe’s Organic
- Black Olives – Lindsay Naturals
- Cannellini Beans – Trader Joe’s White Kidney Beans
- Chickpeas – Trader Joe’s Organic Garbanzo Beans
- Chipotle Chile In Adobo Sauce – San Marcos and La Morena
- Coconut Cream – I use the cream skimmed from chilled coconut milk.
- Coconut Milk* – So Delicious Original Culinary and So Delicious Lite Culinary (sod in small aseptic packages, not cans, but next to the coconut milk cans in the Asian section of most grocers)
- Crushed Tomatoes – Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted
- Diced Tomatoes – Muir Glen Organic No Salt
- Lite Coconut Milk* – So Delicious Lite Culinary (also sold in small aseptic packages, but in the Asian section)
- Pumpkin Puree – Trader Joe’s Organic and Farmer’s Market Organic and Libby’s
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes in Oil – Trader Joe’s
- Tomato Paste – Amore and Muir Glen Organic
- Tomato Sauce – Hunt’s
- Tuna or Salmon, Canned – Pure Alaska Think Pink and Wild Planet Albacore
*Do not substitute coconut milk beverage or another milk beverage in recipes that call for coconut milk or lite coconut milk. See my Coconut Milk Guide for a visual and more tips.
Other Sauces & Seasonings
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Bragg Organic and Trader Joe’s Organic (much cheaper in store)
- Balsamic Vinegar – Trader Joe’s
- Chili Garlic Sauce – Huy Fong
- Coconut Aminos – Coconut Secret (for soy-free needs only)
- Dijon Mustard – Grey Poupon and Organicville
- Dill Pickle Relish – Bubbies
- Hot Sauce – Trader Joe’s Jalapeno Pepper (much cheaper in store)
- Ketchup – Organicville and Heinz Organic
- Liquid Smoke – Wright’s
- Mayonnaise – Trader Joe’s Real Mayonnaise and Vegenaise Grapeseed or Soy-Free (for egg-free needs only)
- Rice Vinegar – Marukan Unseasoned
- Salsa – Trader Joe’s Chunky
- Sherry – Pastora
- Soy Sauce / Tamari – San-J Gluten Free
- Sriracha – Trader Joe’s and Huy Fong
- Worcestershire Sauce – Lea & Perrins
- Bacon – Applegate Farms and Lightlife (for vegan)
- Deli Turkey – Applegate Farms
- Extra-Firm Tofu – Trader Joe’s Organic Sprouted
- Kielbasa – Coleman Natural
- Protein Powder – Growing Naturals Original Pea Protein and Rose Acre Farms Egg White Protein (not used for egg-free)
- Sausage, Mild or Hot Italian – We typically get butcher-made in store, but Al Fresco Natural Fresh Chicken Sausages are a good option.
- Salami – Columbus No Antibiotics
- Tempeh – Lightlife
Pasta, Bread & Wraps
- Corn Tortillas – Trader Joe’s
- Gluten-Free Pasta** – Sam Mills Pasta D’Oro (for all types)
- Gnocchi* – World Market
- Hamburger Buns – Speedy Wheat Buns Recipe and Skinny Gluten-Free Buns Recipe
- Nori Sheets – One Organic
- Rice Noodles – Sunvoi Rice Sticks
- Wheat Pasta* – Barilla Whole Grain
*Not needed if you cook gluten free. **Not needed if you cook with wheat.
A Few Notes About the Brands
Important: Always make sure the products you pick are safe for your needs! Check the ingredients and if a severe food allergy or celiac disease is a concern, always contact the manufacturer to ensure that their processes are safe for your needs, regardless of what the label does or doesn’t say.
Bob’s Red Mill – I typically use their certified gluten free products, because they are made in their gluten-free facility, which is also dairy free. They do process products with milk in their other facility, where the wheat products are produced. However, the wheat products mentioned are certified Kosher pareve. As with any product, contact the manufacturer to discuss their processes to ensure they are safe for your needs.
Enjoy Life Foods – All of their products are dairy free, and most are made in their dedicated dairy-free facility. Their chocolate isn’t, but it is made on a dedicated dairy-free line, which is a big bonus in the milk-filled chocolate world!
Simply Organic – I actually bought a bunch of spices from a little shop when traveling, but I don’t remember there name! I then got a whole set of Simply Organic spices with spice rack gifted to me by the company. Since then, I’ve been buying their brand to replenish that pretty rack. Their product is fantastic, and I was told by their team that they follow rigorous allergen protocols. But of course, make sure the spice brand you choose is safe for your needs. As a side note, Frontier Co-op and Simply Organic are brands of the same company.
Trader Joe’s – This is a store brand; Trader Joe’s stores are a popular fixture throughout the United States with good prices on natural foods. Their prices in store are MUCH better than on Amazon (these are resellers). I’ve only linked up to Amazon for Trader Joe’s products that aren’t listed on the Trader Joe’s website. It’s for informational help. I do encourage buying good quality generics when you find safe options. They can be very budget-friendly!
I love your site and the recipes and tips. My grandson has a lot of problems with dairy & when they came I had a little more insight for what to make for him. I wish this had been available when my son, this grandson’s father was young. He started out life with problems with dairy allergies so I wasn’t too surprised when we found out what part of his son’s problems were this year. When my son was young there were very few options for us to turn to and my wonderful sister-in-law, a dietician, helped us immensely in trying to find things I could make for him. I have forwarded your website info to my daughter-in-law so she could use your valued ideas. Thanks for sharing. I’m trying to collect some of your recipes that I can use for us when he gets to come.
Thank you for sharing this Myra, I’m so happy that I can help. And it is so sweet of you to take such care in helping your family.
Your post really helps me a lot while I’m looking for new ingredients for my recipes, specially in the Dried Herbs & Spices part!!
Thank you Alisa. xo
I’m so happy that I can help you out Natalie!
Pingback: Eat Dairy Free 'Keep it Simple' Menu Plan with Printable Shopping List
What a wealth on information! I will definitely be sharing this with clients who may need a dairy free diet! Congratulations on the book!
Thank you Liz!
This post is EVERYTHING! Thank you for sharing…Now all my questions are answered! I should definitely go pick up this book, too! You’re awesome + have wonderful ideas 🙂
Thank you SO much Whitney. You are too sweet 🙂
Congrats on the big day!!! And this is such a great resource. Saved for later!
Thank you Lorie!
So excited about your cookbook Alisa! This list is a wonderful resource to go along with the cookbook!
Me too 🙂 Thanks Jessica!
This is such a great list, super helpful!! Your pantry sounds very similar to mine. 😉
Great cooks shop alike 🙂
Congrats on the book launch! This is a truly impressive comprehensive list. I always love seeing what specific brands others are using in recipes. It really can make a difference!
I think that’s why I decided to make this – it’s always something I want to know!
Keeping this list in my back pocket aka pinned to my Pinterest account! Will be referring to this often. 🙂
Thank you so much for this list! I adapt recipes for high altitude and vegan, so this helps as a starting point so I can get the same texture, etc that you do.
All of my recipes are tested high altitude and have high altitude options! I live at about 5000 feet, so I actually use a tester for sea level testing specifically 🙂
Great idea! I was going to send you an email to ask about some of your preferred brands, and now I don’t have to! 🙂
I’m thinking about taking on a second career as a mind reader 🙂