Last Update in July 2022! Duncan Hines Cake Mixes were a standard at many childhood celebrations when I was a kid, and continue to be a way for people to produce a spot on, birthday-worthy, cost-effective dessert with little fuss and no muss! Plus, the flavors have been specially formulated (in a lab no less!) to perfectly greet our taste buds, and the leavening is added in just the right ratios to create a nearly foolproof cake.
These highly accessible boxes have gained quite a following in the dairy-free community, especially when frugality and ease is in order. Yes, most Duncan Hines Cake Mixes are Kosher Parve (OU) and contain no dairy ingredients. But use caution, as some do contain milk. At last check, I found the following varieties to be milk-free by ingredients (always verify for yourself as ingredients and labeling can change!).
Duncan Hines Cake Mixes: The Dairy-Free & Vegan Options
Based on our review of each flavor, the following are made without any milk ingredients. But all of them are made with wheat. I’ve included a note if they contain eggs, soy, and/or nuts. If you see any product changes that we haven’t addressed yet, please kindly leave a comment!
The Name Game: Please note that the “Classic” and “Moist Deluxe” cake mix lines are currently branded as just “Perfectly Moist.” The “Signature” line also has “Perfectly Moist” in the title, but has “Signature” across the tp.
Classic Cake Mix Boxes
- Dolly Parton’s Southern Style Banana
- Dolly Parton’s Southern Style Coconut
- Joyfetti Confetti (replacing the Signature Rainbow Confetti)
- Keto-Friendly Yellow*
- Perfectly Moist Butter Golden
- Perfectly Moist Butter Recipe Fudge
- Perfectly Moist Devil’s Food
- Perfectly Moist Dark Chocolate Fudge
- Perfectly Moist Classic White
- Perfectly Moist Classic Yellow
- Signature Angel Food (not vegan; contains eggs)
- Signature Banana Supreme (temporarily replaced by Dolly Parton Limited Edition version)
- Signature Carrot
- Signature Coconut Supreme (temporarily replaced by Dolly Parton Limited Edition version)
- Signature French Vanilla
- Signature Fudge Marble
- Signature German Chocolate
- Signature Lemon Supreme
- Signature Orange Supreme
- Signature Pineapple Supreme
- Signature Red Velvet
- Signature Spice
- Signature Strawberry Supreme
- Signature Swiss Chocolate
Kits, Mugs, and Other Specialty Cake Mixes
- Easy Kit Chocolate Lover’s (with frosting)
- Easy Kit Golden Fudge* (with frosting)
- Epic Cake Kit, Cocoa Pebbles (with frosting)
- Epic Cake Kit, Fruity Pebbles (with frosting)
- Mug Cake, Walnut Brownie
- Mug Cake with Frosting, Confetti
- Mug Cake with Frosting, Brownie**
- Mug Cake with Frosting, Chocolate Lover’s**
- Mug Cake with Frosting, Strawberry Shortcake**
*These are certified kosher dairy, most likely for dairy equipment, but do not appear to have any dairy in the ingredients. As always, verify the ingredients on the package before purchasing. Contact the company to discuss their allergen protocols if you are concerned with the potential of cross-contamination in manufacturing.
**These products previously contained dairy (whey) and were kosher OU-D. They have been reformulated and are now dairy-free and certified kosher parve. But always double check to ensure you aren’t looking at an older package that contains dairy. Some sold online and in stores still contain milk.
Discontinued Dairy-Free Duncan Hines Cake Mixes
- Black and White Decadent Cupcake (with frosting)
- Caramel Apple Decadent Cupcake (with frosting & seasonal)
- Chocolate Lover’s Decadent Cupcake (with frosting)
- Easy Kit Cheesecake
- Mug Cake, Blueberry Muffin
- Perfectly Moist Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa Cake (seasonal; could return)
- Pumpkin Spice Decadent Cupcake (with frosting & seasonal)
- Signature Blue Velvet Cake
- Signature Pink Velvet Cake
- Signature Rainbow Confetti Cake
- Spring Velvets (seasonal; could return)
- Autumn Velvets (seasonal; could return)
- Summer Velvets (seasonal; could return)
- Holiday Velvets (seasonal; could return)
- Easy Kit Red Velvet (with frosting)
- Easy Kit Strawberries & Creme (with frosting)
These Duncan Hines Cake Mixes Contain Dairy
- Cake Cups, Galaxy
- Cake Cups, Mermaid
- Cake Cups, Unicorn
- Easy Kit Coffee Cake (discontinued, but could still be sold in some places)
- Keto Cake Mix Cup, Birthday Cake
- Keto Cake Mix Cup, Double Chocolate Cake
- Mug Cake, Caramel Brownie
- Signature Triple Chocolate Cake
- Signature Tres Leches Cake
Bake it Dairy Free
Most of these mixes call for oil, eggs, and water. So they are even dairy-free when baked per the instructions. On occasion, they release a variety that calls for butter and / or milk. If it calls for melted butter, you can substitute oil or dairy-free butter alternative. If it calls for butter (not melted), it is best to substitute dairy-free buttery sticks. You can technically use almost any liquid in place of the water or milk if you prefer (dairy-free milk beverage, juice, etc), but keep the flavor profile of the cake in mind.
Bake it Vegan
The dairy-free Duncan Hines Cake Mixes are typically vegan, too (the Angel Food Cake does contain eggs). However, they call for eggs in the instructions. To circumvent this, you can use an egg substitute. Or you can use 1 15-ounce can of pumpkin or 1 12-ounce carbonated beverage (soda water, cola, etc) in place of the eggs, oil, AND liquid called for. The latter option produces cake that is moist, but doesn’t rise as high. Please note that these substitutes might be more finicky at high altitude (above 3000 feet).
More Facts on Duncan Hines Cake Mixes
- Certifications: Many of the Duncan Hines Cake Mixes are Certified Kosher Parve.
- Dietary Notes: By ingredients, these Duncan Hines Cake Mixes are dairy-free / non-dairy, and most are also egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, and vegetarian.*
- For More Product Information: Visit the Duncan Hines website at www.duncanhines.com.
*Always read the ingredient and nutrition statement prior to consumption. Ingredients, processes, and labeling are subject to change at any time for any company or product. Contact the company to discuss their manufacturing processes if potential allergen cross-contamination is an issue for you. No food product can be guaranteed “safe” for every individual’s needs. You should never rely on ingredient and allergen statements alone if dealing with a severe food allergy.